Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14   #16

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: car alternator as wind generator???

these guys seem to have taken a bit of a look at the idea for third world application - that'd be me...

http://www.icrepq.com/PONENCIAS/4.288.FERNANDEZ.pdf
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55   #17

Boat: Gib sea 43

a second hand stepper motor would be a better choice!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52   #18
cruiser

The best alternators for this applications, wind, hydro etc., are low rev. Permanent Magnet Alternators like in the picture below.

One or two years ago "atholl" found this link. I really like them, robust and build with Delco parts.

Link: Wind Blue Poower DMA

CeesH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC-520-2.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	39816  
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
The best alternators for this applications, wind, hydro etc., are permanent magnet generators like in the picture below.

One or two years ago "atholl" found this link. I really like them, robust and build with Delco parts.

Link: Wind Blue Poower DMA

CeesH
And you won't need a battery to run this one.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post928748
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

A belt driven automotive alternator is not going to make a decent wind generator. The belt drive system sucks up a lot of power, and the field current will suck up the rest. You would need about 12 ft diameter blades to provide enough power to overcome the losses.

You really need a permanent magnet alternator.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09   #21
cruiser

When you want to use an automotive alternator for 12V system, you need to increase the number of stator winding's to bring down the kick-in revs to get it start to charge. To do this you can use a 24V automotive alternator and a 12V regulator. With this setup you bring down the kick-in charging revolutions to an usable figure. Example, for a typical Bosch 12V 35A alternator you bring the kick-in revs form 1500 rpm to an acceptable 650 rpm. With 800 rpm this set-up already supplies 9A with 1000 rpm 16A. An idea for a propeller-shaft generator!

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39   #22

I use a industrial fan that I got at Home Depot to make wind when there is none.
I aim it at my wind generator blades and it produces power . I can also use it to sail by turning it towards my sails...works great.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:13   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

charley, it isn't a dumb question but the answer is go look up the specs. On any alternator. Those Blue Power specials need to turn at 1000 rpm to get full output. Conventional alternators need about 2500 rpm to get full output. The speed varies with each unit. Wind generators just don't get anywhere into that rpm range and in order to turn a conventional alternator you could easily rig the windgen to a pulley about the size of a conventional bicycle wheel (27") and then direct drive the alternator from that. Except that would be a bit ungainly hanging on a boat.

Just look up some alternator specs and do the math. They need rpms, windgens don't spin fast. You figure out a way to gear them up so both sides are happy, and you've got a solution. Couple of hydraulic turbines maybe? <G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 18:11   #24

Re: Car Alternator as Wind Generator?

When you look at RPM the purpose built wind Generators are relatively slow, the Air breeze has a max rpm of 700 and starts to put the break on at 500 RPM.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:41   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I can't help thinking, a hydraulic turbine pump in the windgen, two small hoses coming down and another hydraulic motor turning the alternator 10x faster.

Any hydraulic masters around who can either shoot that down or figure it up real fast?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36   #26
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Hydraulic pumps? There go your savings. By the time you buy your pumps, hoses, turbine, ss shaft, bearings, sheaves and the alternator, which is mounted in the glass house you just built, you could have purchased a marine factory built wind generator with a warranty.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50   #27

Boat: Pearson 323

I looked a using generators, alternators and motors but found that the specifications either did fit the intended use or the cost was not worth the time and money. What I did find was a Gudcraft 400X wind generator for 400 bucks and put it on my sailboat. It looks kind of ugly but works great. It is six bladed and in quiet with very little vibration.

You can find them on Amazon.com by typing in marine wind turbine in the search dialog box.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
I use a industrial fan that I got at Home Depot to make wind when there is none.
I aim it at my wind generator blades and it produces power . I can also use it to sail by turning it towards my sails...works great.
Great someone has finally over come the effective prevention to Perpetual Motion and the issues with Newtons third law. Excellent
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:47   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I can't help thinking, a hydraulic turbine pump in the windgen, two small hoses coming down and another hydraulic motor turning the alternator 10x faster.

Any hydraulic masters around who can either shoot that down or figure it up real fast?
You loose around 10%> of the power through mechanics. Direct drive is most economical.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33   #30
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayallyn View Post
I looked a using generators, alternators and motors but found that the specifications either did fit the intended use or the cost was not worth the time and money. What I did find was a Gudcraft 400X wind generator for 400 bucks and put it on my sailboat. It looks kind of ugly but works great. It is six bladed and in quiet with very little vibration.

You can find them on Amazon.com by typing in marine wind turbine in the search dialog box.
How's that working out for you? Is 400W enough? You must have a small charger & bank?

Tags
alternator, generator, wind generator