Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 14:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Can't start engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I had a problem with cranking batteries a while back even though they were fairly new batteries. Turned out that the washers supplied for the studded connections were SS and since there were 4 included with each battery I put one either side of the wire terminal. The resistance through the SS washers was sufficient to cause a large voltage drop under the high cranking current. Removed the SS washers and all was OK.

Strange but true.
Different situation but learned that one as well. SS is not a good conductor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 15:09   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you may wish to check your fuel pump--that lil thing that manually pushes/pulls fuel up and into the injector pump. duh they fail. i believe mine had a diaphragm issue before i left barra, so i should not be surprised it failed now. beats a runaway diesel.
as for cranking batteries--i read my packaging. mine read 1000 amps on them and my rule book err manual for perkins said 750 or more. mebbe the amps are in uk english or french or other language on yours. i follow my rule book err play book err manual when i need to . i guess is kinda like a roadmap in mandom.
i also find it entertaining that males have this need to teach women what they dont supposedly know--i find more males donot know what i have been able to learn in my life--cars, engines and such,and sooo much more, so the red flags pop up loudly when a male spews falsehoods. sadly they do it all the time not knowing they are so doing, as they refuse to read the maps, rule books, manuals, etc. i think it is a small man insecurity thing myself.. ha ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 10:15   #18

Boat: MartzCraft 35, 10.67m
Send a message via Skype™ to lmantuano

G'day Zee!

Perhaps 1000 CCA. (Cold Cranking Amps)..? My 36hp VP MD17D starts spinning with 250 Amps and after the first 1/2 revolution it drops to 150A, and that's a big old machine..

LM
lmantuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 10:22   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmantuano View Post
G'day Zee!

Perhaps 1000 CCA. (Cold Cranking Amps)..? My 36hp VP MD17D starts spinning with 250 Amps and after the first 1/2 revolution it drops to 150A, and that's a big old machine..

LM
that is probably the rating, as it was cranking and 1000
i find my 4-108 starts quite nicely when using one deep cycle house bank (4 t 105 style wet golf cart batteries ) . then recharges it nicely. i only find difficulty when i separate the banks according to wtf alleged ruling folks use for yotts.
i have 3 banks and only 2 bank perko i plan to remove in favor of heavy duty individual circuit interrupt switches.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine