Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 09:27   #16

Re: Can windgen mess up Amp-hr count?

Doug, it's BOTH the voltage and the %. You're right, the V won't change appreciably with a small load, but between my Gotcha and MS's article, the concept is the same: the defaults don't work and are there to be changed to what works for your boat and use.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 15:45   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can windgen mess up Amp-hr count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

On a boat with continuous loads - refrigeration and others - I question the logic of having a float charge on solar. Bulk/absorption can continue till the sun gets low without any ill effects. Of course if you are leaving the boat with loads reduced or turned off for a while float should be reinstated

This is what I do, and rarely get to truly fully charged, which for my bank is .5% of rated capacity at absorption voltage.
The trigger isn’t Solar capacity, it’s number of hours at decent Solar output. My 1 KW of panels will happily make 300+ AH on a good day, which sounds great, but it takes more hours to fully charge than you normally get.
Just an hour of generator run time early gets me there though, and an hour a few times a week, isn’t all that bad.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind