Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 09:19   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Keep the negative on the engine bank? What cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Hmm ... I did notice that there were a bunch of grounds all connected to this one bar on the side of the engine bank. So, what you are saying is that, if the battery I am switching to the house bank is now in the engine bank, I can leave the negative connected to the engine bank, and simply connect the positive to the last battery of the house bank, correct?

Also, suppose I use a heavy, starter cable wire (1 gauge, which I have on hand) for that last positive run when the rest of the house bank and the engine bank are wired with AWG 6 boat cable. Any problem doing that? Also have some AWG 6 welding cable laying around. It has less strands but heavier ones, and is a bit inflexible, but seems like it would do the job. Couldn't find boat cable where I am now.

Whaddaya think?

G2L
Either wire should work. All switching is done with positive connections. Negatives are common - all connected together and not switched.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:15   #47

Re: Can I Run A 12V Outboard Off My Solar Array

I believe that the starter bank goes straight to the controller, but will double check. Also, will the controller give off some kind of warning sound, an alarm, when something untoward occurs?
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 06:36   #48

Re: Can I Run A 12V Outboard Off My Solar Array

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Assuming the charge controller is attached directly to the start batteries, yes. If it must pass through a combiner from the house bank, no. Follow the electrical loop logic. Anything breaking the loop, stops the activity. The controllers, I've seen say, battery power loss while panels are connected causes controller damage/failure. A relay on the panel side, powered by the battery bank, "SHOULD," protect the controller. This would add to power consumption, but save the controller.
Have a Blue Sea SI-ACR. There is no combiner box. Also have a Blue Sea, 100 Amp thermal circuit breaker Have been switching batts and cables around at night, using shore power lights, just to be sure no unexpected problems will ensue.

All has worked out well.

Thank you for your insights.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, outboard