Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 16:15   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Can i double over wire and crimp it?

about to get started with LED upgrade project and as many of you know the LED wire coming from the fixture is very small diameter. i need to crimp that onto 14 gauge wire. can i just strip back a bunch of insulation on the LED wire, fold it over one or two times and crimp it into the 14 gauge crimp or is that a big NO NO?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:26   #2

Re: Can i double over wire and crimp it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
about to get started with LED upgrade project and as many of you know the LED wire coming from the fixture is very small diameter. i need to crimp that onto 14 gauge wire. can i just strip back a bunch of insulation on the LED wire, fold it over one or two times and crimp it into the 14 gauge crimp or is that a big NO NO?

The problem is that even doubled or tripled, the thin wire from the LED may still not come up to the same thickness of a #14 wire.

I like to use the cap style of crimp for that application.

... you just twist the wires together, then crimp on the best-fitting cap. You can waterproof by dripping glue or sealant into the one open end.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I will fold it back over it’s insulation and crimp it. The insulation adds significant strength and of course diameter. I have never had an issue of it not making good electrical contact.
I would not do this for anything that can pull significant current, for obvious reasons.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:41   #4
er9
cruiser

thanks fellas....appreciate the advice. i have never seen those cap crimps before. nifty little crimp.
Old 25-05-2018, 17:38   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Depending on the actual size of the LED wire (often somewhere 22 and 26 gauge), you can fold it over once or twice as you suggest and then red crimp (16 to 22 gauge) for the folded section and cut a few strands from the 14 gauge wire to fit into the red crimp.

I don't like crimping onto any insulation but I am not denying that it won't work as a65pilot confirms.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 18:19   #6
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Depending on the actual size of the LED wire (often somewhere 22 and 26 gauge), you can fold it over once or twice as you suggest and then red crimp (16 to 22 gauge) for the folded section and cut a few strands from the 14 gauge wire to fit into the red crimp.

I don't like crimping onto any insulation but I am not denying that it won't work as a65pilot confirms.
thats a good idea,didnt think of that. i'd like to start this weekend and dont feel like waiting another week to order caps. red crimps i do have a ton of though.
Old 25-05-2018, 19:05   #7

you can also buy reducing butt crimps that are blue on one side and red on the other.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:55   #8
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you can also buy reducing butt crimps that are blue on one side and red on the other.
yeah looked for them at west marine but didnt see them.
Old 25-05-2018, 20:30   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
thats a good idea,didnt think of that. i'd like to start this weekend and dont feel like waiting another week to order caps. red crimps i do have a ton of though.

They should have caps at Home Depot or anywhere. Not a special item.
Old 26-05-2018, 07:53   #10
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
They should have caps at Home Depot or anywhere. Not a special item.
good to know i will go take a look today. i thought those might be special for marine environment.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:11   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You can twist the two different size wires together and crimp into one end of a butt splice connector; then seal the other end with liquid electrical tape.

Don't fold it over insulation as that will create a high resistance connection that could start a fire.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:28   #12
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You can twist the two different size wires together and crimp into one end of a butt splice connector; then seal the other end with liquid electrical tape.

Don't fold it over insulation as that will create a high resistance connection that could start a fire.
DUH! lol why didnt i think of that? thats why i love these forums. so much experience to draw from. if i did this should i/ would it also be prudent to heat shrink the end as well or is that way overkill?
Old 26-05-2018, 08:33   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
thanks fellas....appreciate the advice. i have never seen those cap crimps before. nifty little crimp.
In the AC application, they are call "marrettes". You have hundreds in your house wiring.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:00   #14

Boat: O'Day 40

Marrettes are a no-no in marine applications.

They can easily end up with the open end up and then any moisture, especially in salty environments, will collect in them and corrode the wires.

When I bought our boat I found a half dozen and 3 or 4 had corroded.

I bought a bunch of the 2 size butt connectors but the twist and crimp should be good and it's cheaper too.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:16   #15

I prefer to strip back both wires, join them together with a western union splice, which is just a reverse twist on it's self, solder with a good grade of rosin core solder, slide a piece of the correct size shrink tubing (you have already slid on before you connected the wires), use one of the bbq lighters to shrink the tube the full length, it is amazing how much it shrinks, you now have a connection that is electricity and structurally and water proof.
gghanger is offline   Reply With Quote