Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 18:19   #1

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37
Cable glands for flat power cables?

I'm running a 12V power cable from my distribution panel, up the side of my hardtop, and down to the console area in my cockpit. For the NMEA cable, I used one of those blue sea cable glands, and I really like it. I thought I'd do the same for the power cable, but I ran into a snag.

I've been trying to find a cable gland that will fit the #14-2 (it's an oblong cross-section, not a circular one) wire nice and snug to avoid using silicone or some other mess when I put the hole in my salon roof, but it doesn't seem like anyone makes such a thing. I don't believe I'd be able to successfully drill that out on a "blank" plug properly. Maybe my google-** is bad, or I'm looking for the wrong thing. Does anyone know of a good way to pass a flat power cable thru a hull in a waterproof manner without resorting to silicone? I just don't trust the stuff, and it always looks like a hack-job.
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:24   #2

Re: Cable glands for flat power cables?

you can buy strain relifes in ovals. (designed for conduit junction boxes) but you wouldn't be able to thread it into the deck.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tho...nch/1000184210

you can buy round 14/2 cable from anchor
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:43   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Besides wiring / cable clams and glands, other google keywords

Cable Bushings
Cord Grip Connectors

strain relief,
water-tight
and
split

being good narrowing modifiers
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 19:11   #4

I'm interested in this as well. I was looking at a swan neck cable outlet, but generally can only find those out of UK chandleries, nothing in the US. Those oval strain reliefs look promising, but threaded area not long enough for a cored deck.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 19:12   #5

Boat: Hylas 54

Buy one of the BlueSea cable clams and instead of drilling one hole in the center of the rubber piece, drill two smaller holes side by side.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 20:17   #6
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings,

I am in the middle, more or less, of a two year rebuild on a 36 foot cat. The builder and subsequent owners installed 5 cable glands side by side at the base of the mast. Looked awful and was begging to leak. I am in the process of designing/building my own swan neck to both cover the previous 5 holes, 20 if you count the three screw holes for each gland, and provide me a dry conduit for all my mast wiring to enter the boat. I have removed the old glands and the foam core in the deck then filled with epoxy. Also installed a G10 backing pate under the deck to cover the old cable gland holes. Not yet done but here are some pics mid build. Have to mill my holes in the base plate for the fasteners and the wiring then weld it up and finish polishing. A bit of work but will be worth the effort in the end. Just an idea. Many other ways to accomplish the same task.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7FE0D6E-7AA0-42DD-921F-EB65C105361C.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	197742   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A67A9BB-B49E-43A2-ACA5-ADBEB7337B32.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	197743  

Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 00:12   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Flat cables are utlised extensively in crane and drilling application festoons, and there are number industrial products available if you Google Festoon Cable Glands. For example :PVC/PVC Flat Flexible Cables for Festoons Systems

Utilise IP65 rated glands with a threaded upstand entry and washer. Threaded entry can be fiberglassed in or be an aluminum plate, whatever suits your installation.

For multiple cable installations round or flat, industry uses Roxtec cable entries, not cheap, but work very well against water ingress and dust.

https://www.roxtec.com/en/products/

See an example of application at this site:
http://www.roxtec.com/en/success-stories/ssab/

I have no affiliation with any of these company's, but have utlised both products and very successfully installed many Roxtec entries in the offshore O&G and marine industrial environments.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 00:42   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

ThruDex brand cable glands will form & seal tightly around 14-2 & 14-3 flat marine cable.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/newm...fittings-ccx-r

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...xGLg035-ppm8M:

Swan neck style cable entries can be made from PVC or ABS DWV fittings & spray painted with any color Krylon type plastics paint.

Cheers / Len
Old 12-08-2019, 03:26   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Cable glands for flat power cables?

Just use round cable, as mentioned upthread.

14 AWG Multi-conductor Cable

https://www.pacergroup.net/unshielde...-cable-14-awg/
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:57   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Wrap a small piece of self amalgamating tape around the cable where it passes through the gland, then tighten it all up. That'll seal it. Problem solved.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:14   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
I'm running a 12V power cable from my distribution panel, up the side of my hardtop, and down to the console area in my cockpit. For the NMEA cable, I used one of those blue sea cable glands, and I really like it. I thought I'd do the same for the power cable, but I ran into a snag.

I've been trying to find a cable gland that will fit the #14-2 (it's an oblong cross-section, not a circular one) wire nice and snug to avoid using silicone or some other mess when I put the hole in my salon roof, but it doesn't seem like anyone makes such a thing. I don't believe I'd be able to successfully drill that out on a "blank" plug properly. Maybe my google-** is bad, or I'm looking for the wrong thing. Does anyone know of a good way to pass a flat power cable thru a hull in a waterproof manner without resorting to silicone? I just don't trust the stuff, and it always looks like a hack-job.

Just get a cable gland from Blueseas. They make them for flat cable too. I have 2 of them for 12/2 cable and they work great. I'm using them for solar panel cables.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:30   #12

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Just get a cable gland from Blueseas. They make them for flat cable too. I have 2 of them for 12/2 cable and they work great. I'm using them for solar panel cables.
Can you point it out in a link or give me the part number? I just went over to their website and couldn't find what you are describing.
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:44   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Can you point it out in a link or give me the part number? I just went over to their website and couldn't find what you are describing.
Sorry, by bad, I just went back through my orders (good Amazon!) and they're actually made by ancor not blueseas

Ancor 765002 Marine Grade Electrical Wire Seal

https://www.amazon.ca/Ancor-765002-M.../dp/B000NI019O
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:15   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

You don't really need a cable gland. Just drill two small holes side by side - start with a very small bit for proper placement and the enlarge them. file out the space between the holes. Once you have a hole large enough to pass the cable through ease the edges of the hole to eliminate the sharp edge.

If you are drilling through a cored deck tape off the bottom of the hole, Pour epoxy into the hole. After a few minutes - before it kicks remove the tape from underneath and catch the dripping epoxy in a paper towel. After the epoxy has cured adjust the hole size with a file if necessary.

Pass your wire through the hole to where you want it. Pull it back about an inch. Coat the cable with your favorite caulk and push it back down into the hole. Smooth out the caulk around the cable and let it cure.

This will last for the life of the caulk. No big hole to fill in a few years when you change your mind about where you wanted the cable. No trip to the marine store or waiting for a package to arrive.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:38   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

Just google it.
Here is but 1 option.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables