Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2010, 19:58   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
MarinTech. We bought the first one up in Langkawi and were impressed so ordered one in the States (Only had room in Luggage for one) and told Jessie these were pretty good she ought to stock some. The next time we wandered into the shop she said she now had them and the price was the cheapest we paid anywhere at that point.
Great. I'll check them out next time I can get down there.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:00   #32

Boat: William Garden Ketch
I use the computer fans in small confined spaces like in the compartment behind the fridge and in the cupboard where the battery charge sits. To help move the hot air out the vent. But I find they really have little effect in a open room.

Old 12-07-2010, 20:01   #33
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Q: so, how hot did it get last week?

A: it got soooooooo hot that there were 30 replies on the cabin fan thread on Cruiser's Forum.
Old 12-07-2010, 20:15   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
I use the computer fans in small confined spaces like in the compartment behind the fridge and in the cupboard where the battery charge sits. To help move the hot air out the vent. But I find they really have little effect in a open room.
A friend of mine uses them over the berths in his 50 footer. I find them almost useless for the purpose of keeping a sleeping person cool.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:17   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
A friend of mine uses them over the berths in his 50 footer. I find them almost useless for the purpose of keeping a sleeping person cool.
absolutely! they're better for circulation than for cooling.
Old 12-07-2010, 20:28   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
absolutely! they're better for circulation than for cooling.
Exactly. I used a computer fan for a head fan and was pleased, but as a cabin fan... Nope.

Sail Delmarva: "A Bathroom Fan": or "No Blog Could be Complete Without a Tale of Head Repairs"

I also keep a big 18" 120v room fan for use on hot evenings. Set on low it uses very little juice and moves 10x the air the small fans can.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 21:20   #37

Boat: csy 37
i bought $8 car fans from walmart about four years ago and they're still going strong. they each have a large 'alligator' clip so i can mount them almost anywhere. but i've also got a boat that's very well ventilated to begin with - six full sized overhead hatches and nine opening side ports on a 37 foot boat.

i also carried a cheap $10 120 volt fan (also from walmart) but never needed to use it so it's in the dump. with a twenty inch blade it pushes a whole lot of air.

i also found a use for a computer muffin fan for which i paid $10. i mounted it over the air cooled fridge compressor to help move air over it if it gets too hot, although i've never used it yet.

i've yet to see any 'marine' fan do any better than the cheapest walmart fan. spare parts? get an extra fan for eight bucks....
Old 17-07-2010, 02:14   #38

So when your hardwiring fans throughout your boat, do you run all new wire for the fans or can you tap into existing circuits. Pretty much everywhere I would want a fan on my boat, there is a reading light close by - could I tap into the wiring for the lights.

I'm challenged when it comes to electrical systems, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 17-07-2010, 04:02   #39

I have three Hella fans and they DO make a big difference. They're pushing 20 yrs old and are cranky - and tend to make noise - resonant vibrations. I noticed one draws more current than the other 2 and occasionally two of the get ornery and won't start.

But overall they are very good. Cleaning them is a PITA. I would consider another fan but only after a side by side comparison.

Lying at anchor or moving with the wind forward of the beam and with forward facing open hatches makes a big difference as they scoop up air and move out the hot air in the cabin. No wind or facing the wrong way is a bummer as far as removing heat from the cabin.
Old 17-07-2010, 04:46   #40

I've used the Hella and the Caframo and do prefer the Caframo
Old 17-07-2010, 09:28   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
So when your hardwiring fans throughout your boat, do you run all new wire for the fans or can you tap into existing circuits. Pretty much everywhere I would want a fan on my boat, there is a reading light close by - could I tap into the wiring for the lights.

I'm challenged when it comes to electrical systems, so any advice would be appreciated.
I depends. We do both. Where new wire can be run without ripping everything apart we run new wire. Several of our fans are wire into cabin lights. It is because our cabin lights have wirings sized way more than just what the light needs and adding the fan will not overload the wiring. You just have to get creative. The Caframo fans only draw about 1/2 amp so unless the wire is undersized or very close to begin with, they should not be a problem. Other types of fans you will have to research. This picture, although a little hard to see, is an example,
http://tinyurl.com/23yf3ph
The fan is wired into the overhead light with teak channels run from the light, across the cabin top and down the wall to the fan. It hides the wire. We have done this in several locations. BTW, you can enlarge the picture to get a better look and by holding down the right click on your mouse, move the picture around. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 09:45   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
A different fan idea

Best fan setup I ever had a friend rigged in my last boat. Bought a fairly inexpensive, multi-speed window fan and mounted it in a plexiglass sheet that fit in the forward hatch. At night we turned it on low blowing up out of the hatch.

At low speed it was very quiet but also sucked a really good breeze through the whole boat. So, instead of stirring up the hot air that was inside the boat it brought in cooler, outside air.

Another benefit, if a light rain shower popped up in the middle of the night the air blowing up would keep the rain out so you did have to jump up and close the hatches (since the breeze came in through the main companionway we didn't even open the other hatches in the boat). Wouldn't work in a hard rain but would completely block a pretty good drizzle.

My fan was 110V AC so had to run it with a small inverter but I have seen 12V DC window fans for sale on RV sites.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:32   #43

Chuck, Thanks for the helpful info and photo. The wires for the lights on my boat are larger than needed for the lights as well, so I figured it would be ok to wire the fans to them. (I'm going to be using caframos) Thats a good idea to use the teak channel to hide the wires - I'm going to do that as well. Thanks again.

Skipmac, Would running an AC fan through an inverter be a much larger draw on the battery than the 12 volt fans, or can you keep it acceptable buy running them on the low setting?
Old 17-07-2010, 12:08   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:

Skipmac, Would running an AC fan through an inverter be a much larger draw on the battery than the 12 volt fans, or can you keep it acceptable buy running them on the low setting?
I can tell you from my past experiences that inverters are very inefficient and will use considerably more power than running 12 volt equipment or even running equipment that draws more than 12 volt, using a DC to DC converter. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 05:17   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Well, as Chuck pointed out, inverters can be inefficient although newer and more expensive ones are better. The draw from the fan however was not much and we were able to use a fairly small inverter so the draw was not much.

Sorry this was several years back and I can't remember exactly how much power the whole thing drew. I have found a 12V box fan on RV sites called the Endless Breeze that claims 1.18 amps on low speed.

Tags
cabin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: