Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 22:45   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Either way, this is what I'm going to do, and I shall report on my results.
Old 26-01-2009, 22:47   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
By far the best Wind Generator I've found...
Cough cough....********..Cough cough

Surely you found better
Old 26-01-2009, 22:48   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Capn', if my math is right you'll only get about 30Watts an hour from the Forgen 1000. You'd be better off increasing your 80w panel to a 130w panel for less money than the combination of an 80w panel and the Forgen 1000.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 23:05   #19

Sorry if i seem to be being difficult, I'm trying to be helpful, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. But efficiency isn't the only factor taken into account when I considered this option. And as far as comparison to solar power is concerned, even on a sunny day at the equator your only getting maximum efficiency at a few hours around noon (if there's no clouds) and unless u have automatic tracking (in which case you can double the cost of your panels) then your average output will be way less. And that not even taking into account the fact that wind geni's will run all night too.
Old 26-01-2009, 23:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Cough cough....********..Cough cough

Surely you found better

That's just plain rude, I said that this is the best I found, and also that I am happy to be proved wrong, there are more factors to consider than the output at perfect operating conditions. And especially for long term cruising, what use is a super efficient wind geni that breaks as soon as you get 30+ knot gusts? And I should also add that my idea relates to using this in conjunction with solar, not instead of...
Old 26-01-2009, 23:16   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Sorry if i seem to be being difficult, I'm trying to be helpful, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. But efficiency isn't the only factor taken into account when I considered this option. And as far as comparison to solar power is concerned, even on a sunny day at the equator your only getting maximum efficiency at a few hours around noon (if there's no clouds) and unless u have automatic tracking (in which case you can double the cost of your panels) then your average output will be way less. And that not even taking into account the fact that wind geni's will run all night too.

I don't take it as you being difficult but rather just looking for a better alternative. My first impression was that you'd save a bunch not having to install a pole as the usual wind generator set up. In fact you could buy two for the savings. But 30w an hour for about $850? I really don't think you'll be happy with the results.
PS I'm happy to be proven wrong as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 23:24   #22

Thanks for being objective Tellie. I don't know to be honest, but I think it would be worth trying and seeing at the very least, if only for the reason that I won't be kept awake at night by worn bearing or having to remove the wind geni when the wind picks up, for my situation, I can spend a bit on the initial outlay for items, like this, if it means less maintainece or replacement costs in the future, as the income from my flat i'm renting out is only $1000/month and my savings aren't huge, but enough for a resonable fitting out if I do the labour my self. Maybe this may not be the best option for everyone, but it seems to suit my requirements well.
Old 26-01-2009, 23:26   #23

I should add that my plans are for live-aboard cruising for the foreseeable future.
Old 26-01-2009, 23:27   #24

Quote:
That's just plain rude,..
'
Would have been without the thats for sure.

And like the others have said, very expensive elektrikery compared to other methods, therefore, it cant be "By far the best wind generator"

I'm sure airmarine for one puts out much more power, but yes, it gets a roar up in a blow and does need a seperate pole or masthead mount, so it's not the best either, but V to $ it would be better.

Dave
Old 26-01-2009, 23:30   #25

Haha... we all know that is just an excuse for being rude and making it a joke! just like lol...
Old 26-01-2009, 23:32   #26

Quote:
Haha... we all know that is just an excuse for being rude and making it a joke! just like lol...
Us Australians may be a bit different to others
Old 26-01-2009, 23:34   #27

lol...I know u ozzies are just as good at a bit of banter as us brits!
It's all good sport mate!
:P
Old 26-01-2009, 23:35   #28

To be honest, I should of checked where u where from, I would of taken it less personally if I had known u were ozzy!
Old 26-01-2009, 23:41   #29

And having grown up in South Africa, I can't help feel a little comradeship for a fellow southern hemisphere guy...
Old 26-01-2009, 23:43   #30

Just a shame we were never able to teach you how to play rugby properly....

Tags
generator, wind generator