Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2012, 08:01   #1
Registered User
 
Caribsurf's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Maarten
Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Posts: 37
Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

As topic, Whats the best buy and where?

I going to change my house battery bank. Looking for around 400Ah. Have a Balmar 75amp alternator, Kiss windgen and 170wat solar pannel.
Use to have 2 6v Deka@240Ah it was fine for running the frige, lights, laptop. Until my now wife moved aboard and her super 22"laptop that killed my batteries. So now I going to invest in a honda gen also.

Going to order from US and have them shipped to Caribbean. Anybody done something simular and can recommend a hassel free and help full battery company in US?

When I cruse around the net to read up on all the new typs of batteries, it sounds grate whit AGM, GEL, carbon fiber etc.
Hows the review on this exotic battery typs in the real world?
Like to here from you proud owner/previous owner, why/why not.

Caribsurf...
__________________

__________________
The man that god curse, no man can curse again.-CS
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:13   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

I prefer the old wet cell lead acid stuff. I don't know if anything can come close to their cost. I also prefer batteries that I can handle alone! The days when lifting 150#s or so from a bilge are long gone. So my battery banks consist of 6v golf carts purchased from Sam's Club for less than $90 each.

If you plan to ship to the Caribbean, it might be worth while to check out Trojans. There is another thread where they are discussed. (See threads by Mainesails...I think I have his spelling correct)

There is a company in Fort Lauderdale that sells the T105s for about $82 each!

Foggy
__________________

__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:20   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 497
Images: 1
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

US Battery makes very good flooded 6V batteries and they are cheaper than Trojans. I have a set of 4, very happy with them. They're worth checking out.
__________________
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:29   #4
Registered User
 
Caribsurf's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Maarten
Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Posts: 37
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I prefer the old wet cell lead acid stuff. I don't know if anything can come close to their cost. I also prefer batteries that I can handle alone! The days when lifting 150#s or so from a bilge are long gone. So my battery banks consist of 6v golf carts purchased from Sam's Club for less than $90 each.

If you plan to ship to the Caribbean, it might be worth while to check out Trojans. There is another thread where they are discussed. (See threads by Mainesails...I think I have his spelling correct)

There is a company in Fort Lauderdale that sells the T105s for about $82 each!

Foggy
Thanks for your reply Foggy.
Yes, I always hade wett cells 6v sett up to a 12v system. Except now I have a temporary 4D and its a beast to move around and I bench-press 200lbs...hehe


You dont happen to have that company in FL name?

Caribsurf...
__________________
The man that god curse, no man can curse again.-CS
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:38   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

I don't have the name but it is posted. GEEZ, Mainesail got into it with somebody over the prices offered, he didn't believe they could be sold for that price. He was going to send a truck down there to purchase a boat load from them.....of course he later found the shipping cost would kill his savings. This may have been discussed in another sailing site. If I remember it was a solar panel discussion where it came up about 2 months or so ago.

Might be worth doing a Google for Trogan batteries in Fort Lauderdale. The price was real according to Mainesail.

Foggy
__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:44   #6
Registered User
 
Caribsurf's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Maarten
Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Posts: 37
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
US Battery makes very good flooded 6V batteries and they are cheaper than Trojans. I have a set of 4, very happy with them. They're worth checking out.
Thanks for the tip and your feedback on your batteries.

Found this 6v golfcar att Sam Club under $100, best price so far.
Caribsurf...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 11.37.17 AM.png
Views:	113
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	47146  
__________________
The man that god curse, no man can curse again.-CS
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 09:30   #7
Registered User
 
Caribsurf's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Maarten
Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Posts: 37
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I don't have the name but it is posted. GEEZ, Mainesail got into it with somebody over the prices offered, he didn't believe they could be sold for that price. He was going to send a truck down there to purchase a boat load from them.....of course he later found the shipping cost would kill his savings. This may have been discussed in another sailing site. If I remember it was a solar panel discussion where it came up about 2 months or so ago.

Might be worth doing a Google for Trogan batteries in Fort Lauderdale. The price was real according to Mainesail.

Foggy
I find one thread started by you, about the topic. Good reading and just what I looking for.
No company in FL in it yet.

Caribsurf...
__________________
The man that god curse, no man can curse again.-CS
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 09:43   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Golf cart batteries

Southwest Florida Retail, $86 post by DotDun
__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 10:37   #9
Registered User
 
Caribsurf's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Maarten
Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Posts: 37
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Affordablecarts

Caribsurf...
__________________
The man that god curse, no man can curse again.-CS
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:01   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
tartansail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tiverton, RI, USA
Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Posts: 614
Images: 1
Re: Buying new batteries! Most bang for the buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsurf View Post
Thanks for the tip and your feedback on your batteries.

Found this 6v golfcar att Sam Club under $100, best price so far.
Caribsurf...
Those are the ones that Mainesail reported on on another forum. They're Deka 6V at an insanely lower price than the branded at retail. He called Deka and said that he was told that they're identical to the branded ones. The caution is that some of the older 6V were not as well made as the Deka's. I expect you'll find his review if you google "Mainesail batteries".
__________________

__________________
- David
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.