Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2009, 10:16   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Nice flow chart, what is it for. May be beyond the original question.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 10:27   #17

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
Cadence,
When you buy a house, car, toaster, tv, they don't normaly come with a wiring diagram beyond the simplest schematic. I have a written manual on the install and will take the time to build the diagram if it helps but as for the original question it was about the buss bar then I added a question about the Link-10. You asked for something not normaly "off the shelf" available but I will try to get it if it helps others to help me. This is as simple a wiring diagram as I can provide at this moment.

Thanks,
Steve
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:05   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Steve,

Good luck with your question. That flow diagram has more or less than I could speculate on.

Candence
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:06   #19

I think I see where you are going. The buss bar you're talking about is on the negative side. The positive side flows through the controllers, which decide where to port the electricity. Electricity from the dc generator can go to the batteries or to the motors. The dc generator gains efficiency by only producing the power required, unlike constant rpm ac generators. I don't remember if power from the generator has to hit the batteries first. When you are regenerating, the controllers port current to batteries. You manually watch the batteries and turn on the water heater or something if you have too much charging current.

Bottom line: you have an extremely complex system and you shouldn't mess with it until you have lived with it for a year or so and have thoroughly figured it out. The 420's are wired completely differently, but you may be able to get some insight by comparing notes with a 420 owner. Likewise, get in touch with the catamaran company who had a 410 in charter for a few years. They may be able to give you some insights.

I think you ran across the reason other 410 owners upgraded their gensets, to 17kw iirc. You can cruise at 6.5 kts drawing an average of 40a per motor. But the current does jump around a bit, and if your generator kicks off every time you exceed 80a, it would be a real pain. You are not the first to face these issues, but the club is pretty small. As I said, other owners solved it by upgrading their generators.

I seem to recall a procedure for resetting the link 10 when you know the batteries are fully charged but the link 10 says otherwise. I'd direct that question to Xantrex who makes the link 10.

Here are a couple of links to check out if you are having trouble sleeping:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ve-s-3337.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post57698

Congrats on the boat!

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:38   #20
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
I agree with Brett. Don't mess with it until you understand it. Or find someone who has a similar system.
Old 28-04-2009, 11:46   #21

Boat: Hylas 44
Hello Steve

It appears that the Link-10 and the 144 volt battery bank are not synchronized or that the battery is not really fully charged. If the battery is fully charged the voltage should read above 158 volts and the current should be less than 5 amps into the battery with the charger on. With this condition met for 5 minutes the Link-10 will blink the right-most bar and reset the amp-hours to zero.

This assumes that you have 8D Lifeline batteries with 255 Amp-hour capacity.

The Link-10 manual is available at the Xantrex site.

That Solomon Technologies system you have is really nice, but a little complicated.

Regards
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote