Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 21:32   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Bulk & Float Solar settings for LiFePO4 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Klaka View Post
Drop-in 12V lithium packs with min/max regulator cost roughly 10-20% more than good quality AGMs.
Really? Victron, Redarc?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 23:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Maybe lower 13.2V on the float, much better to just STOP when Absorb drops to .02C

Resting full - no charge or load for five hours - should be around 13.5-13.6.
This is where my question comes in. In my case my battery is 200 aH so .02C is 4 amps. If I were able to program my solar charge controller with these settings, would it not charge my battery to 100%, albeit the correct way with the tapering current. If instead I were to set a bulk charge to 13.8V and float at 13.2V, would that not charge my battery to somewhere in the mid-90% range (helping preserve long term battery capacity) and the 13.2V float will be there to pick up the loads up to the amount my solar panel is putting out? Long term battery capacity is a priority for me over getting every last amp hour out, but I'm not sure what charging regime is best for me. If I need the capability to program the %C where float is entered, I'll have to buy the much more expensive "the kid" charge controller along with the second shunt (Whiz Bang Jr) to get that %C capability.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 00:11   #18

I'm running 13.9 bulk,13.4 float.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 06:54   #19
cruiser

Yes, much of the time, the ideal charge is not available. No ability to disable float is very common, and both of the above are likely making a small marginal difference given all the other factors.

The capacity "sacrifice" is I think miniscule between say 13.9 and 14.1 IF you are using end current to terminate.

Even between 13.8 and 14.2 I really doubt more than a few %, no way are you losing 10%, but I agree even if you were the longer lifetime is worth it.

Charging to a volts setpoint only, then variability of current level may give a larger difference.

I would "trust but verify" with accurate monitoring, ideally recorded logging what the output actually is, and tune settings conservatively.

And for those with pricey big banks and no BMS, personally I like the idea of multiple protection "layers" against primary device failure, OVD set higher, LVD set lower, low-temp shutdown.

And maybe a push-button timer that closes the bank's charge buss for say 12 hours, nothing worse if you forget to push it in the afternoon, and no need to remember to close it in the morning?

But a monitor that can trip a relay at 100% SoC would be even better.
Old 25-04-2017, 15:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'm running 13.9 bulk,13.4 float.
Thanks, good to know I'm on the right track if I end up using the constant current then constant voltage method for charging.

So those of you solar charging LiFePO4 batteries, are you using voltage to terminate charging or are you using a configurable "end absorb" (usually a % of C) and what solar charge controller are you using to do it?
Old 25-04-2017, 15:43   #21
cruiser

EndAmps method best way to go IMO

Most need added cost harware for full access to custom programming

So far looking at:

Victron

Bogart Trimetric controlling SC-2030's if PWM is OK

Shunt-based ​MidNite Solar, KID with Whizbang Jr

MorningStar ProStar

Blue Sky
Old 25-04-2017, 15:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Most use voltage as an indicator of SOC for charge ending and back that up for confirmation with a good Amp Hour meter.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 13:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
EndAmps method best way to go IMO
Let's discuss this for a moment. If you're using End Amps it means you are filling your battery to 100% everytime (at least when there are enough sun hours via solar). What if I want to terminate charging before the battery reaches 100% to preserve battery life?
Old 26-04-2017, 13:55   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimba2 View Post
Let's discuss this for a moment. If you're using End Amps it means you are filling your battery to 100% everytime (at least when there are enough sun hours via solar). What if I want to terminate charging before the battery reaches 100% to preserve battery life?
That's easy.
Just set the charge voltage at a lower rate.
For example set your solar controller voltage at 13.4v or 13.5v and you won't get to 100%. At least not on a normal cruising boat not put away for storage.
Old 26-04-2017, 14:33   #25

I think there is a fundamental of battery charging I don't understand. Bulk charging, to me, means you are cramming energy into the battery from the solar system as quick as possible, but float is confusing me. Using this generic curve, let's assume I want my "full charge" to be somewhere in the 80-90% of capacity range:

Let's say I decide on 3.45vpc or 13.8V on a 4S battery. I set the BULK setting in my solar charge controller to 13.8V. It's now 1:30pm and the battery hits 13.8V. If I were to disconnect the solar at that moment, I would expect battery voltage to be 13.8V at that moment and slowly (?) decrease and settle around 3.3vpc or 13.2v for the pack. Is this a correct assumption?

So continuing with my above scenario, at 1:30 pm my battery reaches 13.8V. If my FLOAT setting is set at 13.2V, what happens next?
Old 26-04-2017, 15:02   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get out of Lead Acid battery charging thinking/mindset. You don't Bulk, adsorption, Float charge LiFePO4 batteries. So on my solar charger I set ALL stages for the same valve and bingo, done. I started out conservative 3yrs ago at 13.4v and have slowly walked up the voltage to 13.8v. Now, If I leave the boat for a week with no loads, I turn it down to 13.4v.
Old 26-04-2017, 15:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Get out of Lead Acid battery charging thinking/mindset. You don't Bulk, adsorption, Float charge LiFePO4 batteries. So on my solar charger I set ALL stages for the same valve and bingo, done. I started out conservative 3yrs ago at 13.4v and have slowly walked up the voltage to 13.8v. Now, If I leave the boat for a week with no loads, I turn it down to 13.4v.
I am seeing two distinct recommendations in this thread and the giant 382 page LiFePO4 thread. One recommendation is to bulk charge to 13.8/13.9V and float at 13.2-13.4V and the other is to set bulk/absorb/float all to 13.4-13.8V. I am attempting to understand what happens under each of the scenarios. My question above is what happens to the charge voltage and current from the solar charge controller under the first scenario and my other question is what happens under the second scenario when you're holding the voltage at 13.4-13.8V when the resting voltage of these cells is 13.25-13.3V.
Old 26-04-2017, 15:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Sitting at 13.8 for a few hours, you'd be getting very close to100%. If it's only at 13.8 for a moment, then back to 13.4, that won't happen.
Old 26-04-2017, 15:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimba2 View Post
I am seeing two distinct recommendations in this thread and the giant 382 page LiFePO4 thread. One recommendation is to bulk charge to 13.8/13.9V and float at 13.2-13.4V and the other is to set bulk/absorb/float all to 13.4-13.8V. I am attempting to understand what happens under each of the scenarios. My question above is what happens to the charge voltage and current from the solar charge controller under the first scenario and my other question is what happens under the second scenario when you're holding the voltage at 13.4-13.8V when the resting voltage of these cells is 13.25-13.3V.
What happens with our system, set at 13.8 bulk 13.4 float, is that when the batteries reach 13.8, the current from the solar goes to zero.

It'll stay at zero until a load such as a fridge cuts in, and the battery voltage drops below 13.4, at which point the current comes back up to match the load.

So what you have is that when the batteries have reached 13.8, charging stops and the solar controller is now just carrying house loads.
Old 26-04-2017, 15:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
What happens with our system, set at 13.8 bulk 13.4 float, is that when the batteries reach 13.8, the current from the solar goes to zero.

It'll stay at zero until a load such as a fridge cuts in, and the battery voltage drops below 13.4, at which point the current comes back up to match the load.

So what you have is that when the batteries have reached 13.8, charging stops and the solar controller is now just carrying house loads.
I appreciate the time you guys are taking to reply. The above sounds like what I'm looking for but I appreciate hearing the pros and cons of the other method as well.

Tags
lifepo4, loa, solar