Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2011, 20:42   #16

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
Re: Budget Setup / Generator / Batteries for Liveaboard

I have a very similar situation. I recently bought a 37' Hunter. It has a microwave, and similar electronics to what you describe. The boat had two 12v batteries and a Xantrex 20A charger, and I bought a Honda gen. When I got the boat, I immediately went down to Wal-Mart and bought three new batteries. I put two for a house bank, with a total of 250AH. Now I am trying to buy a 1500w inverter and auto transfer switch. In looking at things, the coffee maker and microwave combined I hope put out about 1500w. So maybe I won't use them together. If later on, I get a TV or other things, guess I'll have to prioritize. If batteries run down too soon, guess I'll add another to the house bank. Grow slowly.

Old 03-08-2011, 21:18   #17

My microwave run tru the inverter uses 100 amps 12dc Change all your lights to LEDs, spend the money to get good ones Run the honda to make coffee and run the microwave while chargeing the batteries. The biggest comsumer of amps is the fridge My 12v front loader uses 4.5 and runs 50% - 80% of the time depending on outside temp a 120v fridge run tru the inverter will use 10amps 12v or more Do search on this forum before buying a battery charger, xantrex brand is questionable I dumped mine and bought iota chargers very reliable and cost effective If you need AC that is a whole different ball game I have a battery monitor and the info this provides in invaluable and are less the $200 , vitron is simpler to install the xantrex brand

Old 04-08-2011, 14:40   #18

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend

I guess it depends on how you use your microwave. For me, I run it a few minutes only, not cooking complete meals in it. That means a 100a draw for just a couple of minutes. You are correct that the largest drain will be the refrigerator, which runs a lot. Getting a good battery monitor and measuring useage sounds like the best plan.
Old 04-08-2011, 15:47   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Without any numbers? You just buy as much battery as you can physically fit in the boat, all same size, same lot. In the odd event that's more than you need, that's OK too, because your batteries will last longer if you don't cycle them deeply. You gain battery life if you only discharge them 30% instead of the more common 50%, enough to more than pay for the extra money spent on batteries.

Buying "more battery later" is a bad idea, you'll have mismatched batteries in the bank, and that's never as good as having them all matched up front.

And on a 37' boat, you won't have enough room to get in trouble as long as you stick to big batteries.<G>

Then you buy whatever charger matches the battery capacity and run your Honda as much as you need to.

Not a technically perfect way to look at things, but very likely to be very close to what actually is ideal for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had microwaves with 1000 to 2500 invertors. for short uses 1-3 mins it works out fine right off the batteries. For TV it worked fine for 2 hr movies. However, as said above , I would try to use the microwave when charging batteries in the am. Really not sure the Microwave is worth the weight, cost of an invertor and etc on a boat. Refridge is the big user. For refridge, you''ll need a good strong charge everyday and have something else to fill in throughout the day would be best also. So a hi amp alternator/regulator and either a windcharger or solar panels would be nice. or the Honda I suppose...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: