Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 19:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,583
Re: Breaker / Fuses MPPT-Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Apparently it makes sense to MPPT manufacturers such as Morningstar and Outback. The relay and breaker or fuse support the same notion, but I would check the max operating voltage of the auto relays carefully as they are sold for 12V systems. My system typically puts out 85-95V, with a Voc higher than that. When I looked into this I found a few around 27v, and the max operating or "switched" voltage I could find was 50V.
I just downloaded the Morningstar Sunsaver MPT manual. It does not show a fuse between the PV and the MPPT controller.
__________________

__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 19:48   #17
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L

I just downloaded the Morningstar Sunsaver MPT manual. It does not show a fuse between the PV and the MPPT controller.
They do in whatever the OP bought and also for the TriStar 45/60.

For the OP, personally I would follow whatever the manufacturer's recommended instructions are, you can't go wrong doing that.

Frank
__________________

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:01   #18
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Breaker / Fuses MPPT-Solar Panels?

I think the main reason to have a switch / breaker on the solar side is so you can disconnect the solar from the charge controllers before disconnection the charge controller from the battery. Some mppt controllers don't like it when the battery is disconnected first.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:25   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,583
Re: Breaker / Fuses MPPT-Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
They do in whatever the OP bought and also for the TriStar 45/60.

For the OP, personally I would follow whatever the manufacturer's recommended instructions are, you can't go wrong doing that.

Frank
OK, I looked at the Tristar manual. One of the diagrams does show both sides of the controller fused. The other diagrams only show the battery side fused. On page 18 when they discuss fusing they only mention the battery side. So I'm not sure what they are recommending for the Tristar controller.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Posts: 359
Images: 3
Re: Breaker / Fuses MPPT-Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
OK, I looked at the Tristar manual. One of the diagrams does show both sides of the controller fused. The other diagrams only show the battery side fused. On page 18 when they discuss fusing they only mention the battery side. So I'm not sure what they are recommending for the Tristar controller.
In the old days, manuals usually have a phone number you can call for technical questions?
Tom
__________________
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,583
Re: Breaker / Fuses MPPT-Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
In the old days, manuals usually have a phone number you can call for technical questions?
Tom
Nah, I'm bigger on just plain RTFM.
__________________

__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuses, panels

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.