Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 07:12   #1

Boat: Pearson 33-2
Bragging on the Admiral

I thought I'd take a minute to share a very proud moment with you all.....
My wife has always taken a passive position on the boats. She's got herself hooked on Gone With the Wynns, and I think that may have something to do with her increased confidence level lately. She's been taking the helm some and getting more involved in the mechanicals. I had to leave the boat early yesterday to get back to work, but she and my daughter are staying on board until I go back the end of next week. We have a houseboat in TN, so aircon is not an option this time of year. Long story short, the impeller on the generator shot craps yesterday afternoon. My first proud moment came when she recognized a problem before the generator overheated, but she really impressed when she replaced the impeller without calling for reinforcements. A few pictures text back and forth, and she had everything up and going. She says plenty of water flow, so I'll clean the rubber out of the heat exchanger when I get back, but I couldn't be prouder of her since she's never done any wrenching before. I'm sure this isn't a big deal to most of you, but I couldn't be more proud of her.
I have always worried that our(my) cruising dream wouldn't come to fruition, but lately, it looks like they'll leave without me if I don't hurry up.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 14:39   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Bragging on the Admiral

Well, good for her, and good onya for telling us about it! Not so many blokes who would bother...

Jim
Old 22-07-2017, 20:30   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I kinda like seeing a bloke brag on his good lady.

The second year we cycloned over in Oz, we met a man in Tasmania, who shyly admitted he was proud of his wife, she had won the biggest civilian gong, here, the Australia award, so it is really a big deal. And I was so tickled, the first Australian man I'd met who bragged on his wife. I was all over it like maple syrup on pancakes!

Turns out he was a Cornishman! (Oh, well, back to the drawing board.) ;-)

Ann
Old 22-07-2017, 22:23   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

One of the hardest things, and most rewarding, is stepping out of our comfort zone. It appears that your wife has embraced that. Good on her!
And good on you for your obvious love and respect. A good partnership makes a great marriage.
Hope to see you on the water some day
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Does she have a sister?
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:03   #6

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Good job, Mrs. Fence Man! You make us all proud!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Awesome ! You are a lucky fella.

I too have a full partner who changes impellers & oil and does better glass work than me .... sometimes she even lets me drive the boat
Old 23-07-2017, 16:03   #8

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Good for you and good for her, including the well deserved brag. My spouse does not even like to board my boats, and basically will not do so, but I love her for many, many other reasons. Still, I wish she would.
Old 23-07-2017, 17:40   #9

Boat: wanting a cat

+2 on the sister!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:13   #10

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Sorry boys, no sister. She does have a brother though, and we'd be glad to cover the shipping.
Thanks to you all for the friendly comments! I'll show them to her when I get back to the boat, and I'm sure it'll make her day. When we met, I had just moved back home from several years of ranching and rodeoing in the western US. She was 100% city and smoking hot. We bought a farm and moved away from everything she'd ever known....city life and dense population of people included. Fast forward a dozen years.......She hates town, isn't real big on people, hates crowds, went back to school and got an agricultural education degree, loves feeding cows more than she ever thought possible, and is the best momma and wife in the world. When we met, wearing shoes in the house was a big deal. Today, there is a duck living in our mud room because he was seriously traumatized when a raccoon ate all three of his girlfriends. She's always nice to my parents, she's still smoking hot, and she puts up with me. And that's why I call her "Jackpot".
We do need to fix a few spots and gelcoat the boat, so any tips on getting her glass repair skills up to par would be appreciated. lol Thanks again, all.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 20:12   #11

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Really like this post.

SO much that I'm quite reluctant to show my cynical side ... anyway, oh well here goes: anyone noticed g.f.s knuckle down when comfort is at risk?

Impellor for the main engine . ignore it.
Sewing a tear in the jib . not for her.
Electric power ... find the problem and fix it tout d'suite.
Exception: a non-functioning head ... do not pass go, proceed directly to nearest motel.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 22:54   #12
cruiser

Awesome! My wife also began stepping out and doing things aboard by herself two years ago, it's been very helpful. The only time it didn't work out so well is when I was leaving to do some grocery shopping, as I was leaving she asked "where is the hammer?" Then I found out upon my return, that she'd used it to defrost the fridge.

New Frigoboat evaporator €600 euros + new Frigoboat condensor unit €800 euros. But now we have a brand new fridge.

She has done a generator impeller with me twice, but I'm not sure she could remove the heavy wooden cover by herself.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 23:03   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Awesome! My wife also began stepping out and doing things aboard by herself two years ago, it's been very helpful. The only time it didn't work out so well is when I was leaving to do some grocery shopping, as I was leaving she asked "where is the hammer?" Then I found out upon my return, that she'd used it to defrost the fridge.

New condenser €600 euros + new Frigoboat compressor €800 euros. But now we have a brand new fridge.

She has done a generator impeller with me twice, but I'm not sure she could remove the heavy wooden cover by herself.
Now thats funny right there, don't care who you are!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 00:18   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
Sorry boys, no sister. She does have a brother though, and we'd be glad to cover the shipping.
Thanks to you all for the friendly comments! I'll show them to her when I get back to the boat, and I'm sure it'll make her day. When we met, I had just moved back home from several years of ranching and rodeoing in the western US. She was 100% city and smoking hot. We bought a farm and moved away from everything she'd ever known....city life and dense population of people included. Fast forward a dozen years.......She hates town, isn't real big on people, hates crowds, went back to school and got an agricultural education degree, loves feeding cows more than she ever thought possible, and is the best momma and wife in the world. When we met, wearing shoes in the house was a big deal. Today, there is a duck living in our mud room because he was seriously traumatized when a raccoon ate all three of his girlfriends. She's always nice to my parents, she's still smoking hot, and she puts up with me. And that's why I call her "Jackpot".
We do need to fix a few spots and gelcoat the boat, so any tips on getting her glass repair skills up to par would be appreciated. lol Thanks again, all.
Judging from your photograph, I assumed you live closer to the equator.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 03:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
Really like this post.

SO much that I'm quite reluctant to show my cynical side ... anyway, oh well here goes: anyone noticed g.f.s knuckle down when comfort is at risk?

Impellor for the main engine . ignore it.
Sewing a tear in the jib . not for her.
Electric power ... find the problem and fix it tout d'suite.
Exception: a non-functioning head ... do not pass go, proceed directly to nearest motel.
Not only will my wife scrape bottoms while wearing a funny suit, she is stunningly beautiful inside and out ... and a talented artist ....