Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09   #1

Boat: Morgan O/I 28
book recomendations

There are so many books available for marine electronics, what are some recommendations for someone who has little experience with it? I don't want to purchase a whole library on the subject. 2 or 3 at most.
My goal is to do all my own work. So I m looking for something that explains it well, has diagrams, pics, and trouble shooting guides. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: book recomendations

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems: Nigel Calder: 9780071432382: Amazon.com: Books

probably the best currently on the market.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15   #3

Electronics or electrical systems? Two separate subjects.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Electronics or electrical systems? Two separate subjects.
Ah! Good point electrical systems I believe? Thank you.
Need to rewire, add this dohickey, remove that thingamabob... That sort of thing. want to start with basics though, work in solar and wind later. Right now its all old and messy and i would just love to restart from scratch to be sure its all correct.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Become very proficient in using a quality DMM (Digital Multi Meter, such as the FLUKE brand). Learn how to measure AC/DC voltage and (low) DC current; don't mess with AC currents, as a hobbyist. Know how to read the amperage value on a fuse and how to replace it. Any wiring or connection you replace, make sure it is insulated and water proof. It wouldn't be a bad idea if your DMM has leads to measure the temperature. Purchase DMM leads that end up like a pincer; connect the (black/negative DC) ground lead first, then the (red/positive) lead when measuring a voltage. Before soldering, replacing components or boards, make sure the power source is OFF. Have fun! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19   #6

As a former concert lighting designer, I know the basic stuff about electricity, I am finding the transition to "normal" (house, or boats) electrical stuff difficult for some reason, thus wanting to start from the ground up so I can identify what it is that is tripping me up.

( I'm actually annoyed that I can't get my head around it, as it should come natural at this point... But on the bright side, I just made myself laugh for using the words ground and trip, in a paragragh about electrical. I am easily amused. Hehehe.)

Thank you for all of the replies.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30   #7

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valacirca View Post
Ah! Good point electrical systems I believe? Thank you.
Need to rewire, add this dohickey, remove that thingamabob... That sort of thing. want to start with basics though, work in solar and wind later. Right now its all old and messy and i would just love to restart from scratch to be sure its all correct.
Get the Nigel Calder I mentioned previously. it will serve you well. My husband who is the most persnickety subsea electrical engineer in the world thinks its the only one on the market that is worth buying. The husband's level of electrical knowledge is seriously- second to none Details would be bragging, that's not my intent just to let you know that its not me who feels a bit of pride when I correctly install a battery in my kids toy recommending it, but someone with a seriously world class knowledge base to draw on. If he is telling you that's the way to go, you can count on it. The other part is that he is the reason Scot's get stereotyped as being tightfisted and as much as he hates to spend money, the Calder book is in his opinion "value for money".
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote