I have 3 year old 12V deep cycle batteries on my 2014 Beneteau
. Over the weekend we serviced and topped off the house bank. One of the cells had the top of the lead exposed. Since finishing, the batteries have beed charging
like crazy and are hot as a firecracker. And the smell is noxious. How could batteries that were fine before topping off with distilled water
, now seem to be on runaway charge. This afternoon I turned off the charger
to let them cool down a bit.
Once cool we tested them and first thing we noticed is that the water
is very dark. Secondly, the state of charge was off the scale for our cheap
tester. Any thoughts as to what's going on.? I'm afraid we will get gassed by these things.