Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 03:05   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Blue Sea VSM 422 Battery Monitor

I need a new battery monitor. This looks the best option, but I thought I would ask the forums opinion. (I wont be using the tank option as I have a tank tender system)
Any other recomended monitors?
The blue seas is new, anyone used one?
Thanks
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 22:19   #2

Boat: Freydis 49
Re: Blue Sea VSM 422 Battery Monitor

Hi noelex, sorry but cant help you, I am looking at one of these Blueseas VSM's myself though, did you install one and if so how did it go?

Pacey 16
Old 11-11-2011, 23:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Pacey

No I went with the Outback DC and Mate. Combined with an Outback regulator it gives me a lot of information on the battery system.
I still think the Blue seas on paper looks a great stand alone battery monitor, but they are new so I have not used, or even seen one.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:27   #4

Boat: PSC Flicka 20

Hey -

Ive been using one for about 6 months - seems great so far, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to program it to reflect the proper charging efficiencies for my lifeline AGM bank.

Its essential to know how many amps you are drawing and your remaining capacity - though no mater what, these are somewhat of a moving target due to basic battery chemistry, which states that the faster you take energy out, the less energy you get - the slower, the better - which is a function of overall bank capacity, but also depends on silly things like internal resistance and external wiring losses.

I have a similar monitor on my solar array, so I know how much its cumulatively throwing at the battery bank, but how much is getting banked is another issue.

One of the many things that justified the expense of the AGMs was thier inherent high charge acceptance rate and low internal resistance, which leads to a 15% (or so) improvement over flooded wet cells.

This is tantamount to having bigger bank or array - but to quantify this, you need a monitor of some sort.

BSSs VSM fit the bill, since it was inexpensive, and consolidates a variety of electrical and mechanical systems info into one unit,

My only gripe is that the display can be difficult to read from certain angles, and the user's manual, while adequit is lacking in some important technical information -

Like "What is the typical charge effciency for AGM batteries?"

"What is the difference between "Starved Electrolite" and "Standard" AGMs?

etc.

I may have to call thier tech support.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor