Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 09:34   #1

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
Blue sea SI ACR

hi Everyone I have just installed a new start battery and it has given me the reason to ck over my wiring a question came up if I have a SI ACR and my charging is going to the above when my house batteries are low then the charge is on even if my start batter is up therfore the start battery would become over charged and boil dry how do I fix? any comment would be helpful.
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:39   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Blue sea SI ACR

It won't overcharge or boil dry. We have been using combining relays for 16yrs with no problem. The start battery will be at the same voltage as the house bank during charging, but not accepting any of the current (after it takes enough to be fully charged itself).

There is no need to fix anything - it is working as designed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13   #3

Great News Mark Thanks
Could you please explain a battery bank does this concist of 2 or more batteries or is this just one battery? I presently have 2 house D8 style deepcycle batteries hooked in parrell plus one start 820 cold crank start battery is this 2 banks or or 3 the reason I ask is I read that one my need 2 ACR relays for 3 battery banks??
Old 12-07-2014, 10:17   #4

All batteries hooked in parallel would be considered a single bank. So it sounds like you have two banks - house and start. You would need only one ACR for this.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28   #5

Mark thanks again
you seem to be kowlagable in electrical I wonder if I can trouble you with different question I have @ stets of soler panels that supply charge to batteries they first go through Battey controler which when I ck voltage from panel as high as 18 volts but charge to battey is less than one I have Sunci controlers that it seems that they had a blinking diod which is no longer blinking, should I replace they are both doing the same and they are about 4 years old. Are these battery controlers the same as I read somthing like MOPPIT? ?? thanks again
Old 12-07-2014, 10:39   #6

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with those controllers.

Mark