Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41   #1

Black Panther vs. Trojan Batteries

Ever heard of them (Black Panther) for marine application?
I'm leery of the "better deal". Planned to go with Trojans.

Thanks in advance!
Gulfmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As far as I know, "Black Panther" branded AGM batteries are no longer marketed.
The Black Panther battery was actually sold by a company called Crischell Automotive Products located on Colorado. The line was called the Predator series. Crischell obtained the raw batteries from Hawker Energy Products.
They took the Hawker "Genesis" line of batteries, fit them with brass lugs and resold them under their own name.
These batteries are based on the "Starved Electrolyte" type (AGM, or Absorbed Glass Matt), where the battery is produced using an inert mesh to hold a bare minimum of electrolyte (i.e. acid) in contact with the lead plates
Because of this "acid-starved" condition, this type of battery does not normally perform well in heavy, deep discharge applications.
See also “Odyssey” & “Optima” AGM batteries

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 15:08   #3

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the reply. In Luperon now, wondered why the seller offered such a deal, including givng some money back for old batteries. Slim pickings here but located Trojans.
Gulfmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 19:05   #4

Excuse me Gord...but are you suggesting that all AGM's do not do well in deep discharge applications or just Odyssey and Optima? If the latter, I certainly disagree with that characterization of Odyssey.
Nigel Calder is fitting out his new boat with Odysseys as the house bank so I think you might get some argument from him on that score...(besides me).
Or do you mean something other than discharge to 50% as is normal procedure with ANY type of house battery when you say deep discharge?

According to Odyssey "These batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses in excess of 2250A for 5 seconds as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge (DOD)."
I'm sure as is Calder it will do a lot better than even that at 50% DOD. Plus you can FULLY charge a 100amp odyssey that is DEAD in 10 minutes with a big enough charger...or in just 1 hour with a 100amp alternator. Compare that to over 5 hours with flooded cells and the same alternator. Then check the price of fuel.
As to the Optimas... their design and construction is totally different than either the Odysseys or more conventional AGM's and they are configured for dual purpose start and deep cycle use so I think it is not good to judge deep cycle AGM performance from them. Many other well built AGM's offer excellent deep cycle performance.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 20:17   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Last year when I bought my Tayana 42 ,the previous owner installed wet cells ,6 volt batteries under the bed in no sealed compartment ,no ventilation, free standing on the rotten piece op plywood . They were all new ,but figured by the timeI make a seal compartment ,vent ,etc. , I'll be better of just buying AGM's. Just didn't decided what brand yet.
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Excuse me Gord...but are you suggesting that all AGM's do not do well in deep discharge applications or just Odyssey and Optima? If the latter, I certainly disagree with that characterization of Odyssey.
Nigel Calder is fitting out his new boat with Odysseys as the house bank...
Cam is quite correct, I was referring to Black Panther branded Hawker “Genesis” batteries as being unsuitable for deep cycle use. The Genesis series are SLA batteries.

I meant to offer Odyssey & Optima AGM batteries as better alternatives.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:30   #7

Thanks Gord...I didn't think YOU could mean what you typed!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote