Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2010, 19:38   #16

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
We had an electronic battery selector switch that was supposed to decide which bank had more charge, and use that bank to crank the engine. It had a switch and a red light under the chart table and heavy cabling to and from. We ripped it all out and went back to barrel switches this past winter, and the electrician said there were many boats that had this"upgrade" put in. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones...
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 19:55   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I don't understand why there is a switch for the ground. That should be replaced by a good solid bus bar. That's just for starters.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 05:14   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
One way to test to see if the "mystery button" is actually a battery combiner is to turn off your start battery and then try to start the engine. Of course nothing will happen. Then push in the mystery switch and try starting again.
Old 14-04-2010, 17:17   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The two relays off the alternator may be to activate the ignition idiot light, some alternators work that way. My perkins had that relay for that function

Quote:
I don't understand why there is a switch for the ground
standard Beneteau installation, was the same on my 393 and lots of other Benes

Its amazing what you forget, I had that button too. I'm nearly sure it was for glow plugs

as to the blower, I thought that since they are extractors they come on automatically, mine did on a older bene
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 18:12   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Depth charges.

Please don't test that button in your slip.
Old 14-04-2010, 19:57   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 409
I have a 2007 Bene with the seperate ground switch. The little light at the bottom of the cabinet should come on with a fob push button unit so when you come on board at night you can turn the light on. I have 2 lights with the fob control. Both my starter battery and house battery switches are connected but yours is not. I bought a relay to connected them once the alternator goes to 13.8 volts. Now when I start the engine the volts drops to where the Chartplotter turns off.. a switch would then be added in case the starter battery needs a boost from the house battery to start the engine.
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 20:46   #22

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
One way to test to see if the "mystery button" is actually a battery combiner is to turn off your start battery and then try to start the engine. Of course nothing will happen. Then push in the mystery switch and try starting again.
Hud,

I tested it tonight using your method. It's not a battery combiner.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 20:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capbillh View Post
I have a 2007 Bene with the seperate ground switch. The little light at the bottom of the cabinet should come on with a fob push button unit so when you come on board at night you can turn the light on. I have 2 lights with the fob control.
That would be really nice to have. Not sure that's it though.

Quote:
Both my starter battery and house battery switches are connected but yours is not. I bought a relay to connected them once the alternator goes to 13.8 volts. Now when I start the engine the volts drops to where the Chartplotter turns off.. a switch would then be added in case the starter battery needs a boost from the house battery to start the engine.
That doesn't sound right. There must be a 1-2-Both switch somewhere so you can start on just the starting battery. Either that, or the PO wired them together after the engine battery went dead? If you have 2 separate alternators for the 2 battery banks, then they should operate independently.

Regards,
Brad

Old 14-04-2010, 21:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The two relays off the alternator may be to activate the ignition idiot light, some alternators work that way. My perkins had that relay for that function
I looked tonight and it's only one relay. There's a wire there for another relay but it was cut and the end was taped with electrical tape.

The relay's electromagnet is connected to one of the alternators and then to ground. So when the alternator is active, the relay switches. It is switching a connection between a black wire and ground. So the relay is there to ground a black wire when the engine is running.

Here's a picture of it. It's green, held in plsce by my fingers.

Quote:
standard Beneteau installation, was the same on my 393 and lots of other Benes

Its amazing what you forget, I had that button too. I'm nearly sure it was for glow plugs
What should I look for, to check if they are for glow plugs?

Quote:
as to the blower, I thought that since they are extractors they come on automatically, mine did on a older bene
Maybe it's on when the engine is actually running. I'd have a tough time hearing it. I think I need to connect a buzzer to it, so I can hear it clearly - on a noize day -- from anywhere on board.

Regards,
Brad

Old 14-04-2010, 21:32   #25

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
You do not have glow plugs that i can see anyway from your picture.

Why are there Shore power wires running to your battrie switch?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 05:05   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Brad, I have a 1/0 wire connecting the 2 red switches just as it it shown in the B manual. All the Benes that I have seen have 2 separate switches so that the 'both' position is with both 'on'.
Also, most Yanmars do not have glow plugs but can have a heater coil installed in the intake manifold after the air cleaner box. Did you not get a 3 ring binder with the boat containing rigging & sail dimensions, /thru hull fittings locations, sling positions, cable/wire schedule, schematics, etc? the connecting wire is at the bottom set of lugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt sws1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	15337  
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 06:38   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I looked tonight and it's only one relay. There's a wire there for another relay but it was cut and the end was taped with electrical tape.

The relay's electromagnet is connected to one of the alternators and then to ground. So when the alternator is active, the relay switches. It is switching a connection between a black wire and ground. So the relay is there to ground a black wire when the engine is running.

Here's a picture of it. It's green, held in plsce by my fingers.
Yeap thats the idiot light relay, looks like the one I had ( except mine was black). They are actually automotive case relays.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 06:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
You do not have glow plugs that i can see anyway from your picture.

Why are there Shore power wires running to your battrie switch?
Thanks Still.

The wires are actually coming from the charger that's powered by shore power.

Regards,
Brad

Old 15-04-2010, 12:01   #29

Quote:
Brad, I have a 1/0 wire connecting the 2 red switches just as it it shown in the B manual. All the Benes that I have seen have 2 separate switches so that the 'both' position is with both 'on'...
Thanks Capt.

We have lead-acid for the starting battery and Gel cells for the house bank. Those are slightly different voltages, so that may be the reason they aren't connected on our boat.

Of course, I still carry a set of automotive jumper cables.

Quote:
...Also, most Yanmars do not have glow plugs but can have a heater coil installed in the intake manifold after the air cleaner box. Did you not get a 3 ring binder with the boat containing rigging & sail dimensions, /thru hull fittings locations, sling positions, cable/wire schedule, schematics, etc? the connecting wire is at the bottom set of lugs.
I do have the binder, I'll take another look at it.

We have a Perkins Sabre. I haven't had the air cleaner apart yet. (So far, the engine is professionally winterized. I start applying my new book knowledge this fall.) I'll look to see if there's a heater.

This is more than academic interest, since I'm planning to keep her in the water next winter. (If you're in the area, come sailing some time.)

Regards,
Brad

Old 15-04-2010, 18:55   #30

The instrument panel is not in the owners manual that capbillh mentioned.

I still need to call Beneteau (had some difficulty getting the number this afternoon, computer problem), and I'm planning to follow the wires going to the mystery push button switch.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Regards,
Brad

Tags
beneteau, push-button