Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Best Way to Cut 2/0 to 4/0 Battery Cable

Was going to use a ancor batter cutter ANC-702006 CABLE CUTTER HEAVY DUTY but it si backordered. What do you all use to cut heavy duty battery cable?
Could a jig saw with a metal blade, or a dremel type tool (rotozip) be used to make a good cut? Don't want to screw up a expensive cable...
Thanks.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:22   #2
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Was going to use a ancor batter cutter ANC-702006 CABLE CUTTER HEAVY DUTY but it si backordered. What do you all use to cut heavy duty battery cable?
Could a jig saw with a metal blade, or a dremel type tool (rotozip) be used to make a good cut? Don't want to screw up a expensive cable...
Thanks.
These are better:

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-287...cheting/Detail

Not so heavy duty , but strips as well

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-289...1-Cable/Detail

A hacksaw and a knife will work in a pinch.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
When I installed the 2/0 wiring for our windlass I found that tightening a nylon wire tie on either side of the point where I wanted the cut--leaving about .25" between them--and then using a Dremel Tool with a fine cut-off wheel was fast and easy. The wire ties keep the wire from unraveling and one cand slid them back from the cut enought to allow the insulation to be removed and the cable slipped into lugs quite neatly.

A discussion of my experience appears at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-3456-2.html

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31   #4

Your link is broken, do you have the part number ?
Would it be this?

http://www.kleintools.com/ToolCatalo...oltCutters.pdf
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37   #5
S&S

Quote:
Your link is broken, do you have the part number ?
Would it be this?

http://www.kleintools.com/ToolCatalo...oltCutters.pdf
yes, you're in the right spot. the non racheting ones work fine but you really need to squeeze for 4/0.

I like the 63060.
the utility cutter will cut 4/0 fine (63065)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
When I installed the 2/0 wiring for our windlass I found that tightening a nylon wire tie on either side of the point where I wanted the cut--leaving about .25" between them--and then using a Dremel Tool with a fine cut-off wheel was fast and easy. The wire ties keep the wire from unraveling and one cand slid them back from the cut enought to allow the insulation to be removed and the cable slipped into lugs quite neatly.

A discussion of my experience appears at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-3456-2.html

FWIW...
Thanks for that link.. good job on the installation.
Have you ever found the 2/0 cable there to be undersized? Wish you had put down 4/0?
I have a similar problem. The PO had a optima battery for the lofans tigress windlass, supplied with 2g cable to charge it, but the battery never go charged as the breaker for it was broken...
I have since removed the battery, and plan on just running a new cable to it.
The 2 g will be insufficent for it, so either 2/0 or 4/0, a difference in cost of about 2.50 per foot, for a 25 foot one way run.... so 50 feet say. swo 250 to 375 just for the cable.. but then a battery, that has to be changed out every 5-7 years will cost me 250.. so the cost of the cable is justified.
I believe I will go with the 4/0... as the new anchor will be a 60 lb manson supreme... loaded with mud, will weigh quite a bit..
of course the engine will be running while its being used.

But back to the original posting... I guess I will go with the rotozip and a metal cutting wheel, I will try your suggestion on the cable ties.
Thanks.
Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02   #7
Eternal Member

Bob,

A little-known tool known as the "Handi-Cut" sold by Sears is the most useful and versatile cutting tool I've ever seen. And, they're cheap. I have four...at home, on the boat, in several tool kits. I use them several times a day for many cutting tasks.

These puppies will cut thru 2/0, 4/0 or any smaller size wire like butter, making a very clean cut. Moreover, they're very useful for stripping the cables, for cutting heat-shrink tubing, and for many, many other tasks.

This link shows the two sizes. I have just the smaller one, and find it's all I need. They sell for $19.95 and, sometimes, are on sale for $15. They come with extra blades in the handle. Be sure to buy extra blades, though, and an extra plastic cutting platform. These are sometimes hard to find, so I snap 'em up whenever I see one.

Here's the link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003b

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Have you ever found the 2/0 cable there to be undersized? Wish you had put down 4/0?...

Thanks.
Bob
Bob--

I sized our 2/0 wire on the strength of the advice of Grodon May, Bill Treyfors et al. Upon checking with a fairly accurate meter, I found less than a 3% voltage drop from the batteries mounted in the engine space to our windlass. We have the Maxwell VW1200 that collects our 3/8" chain and our 45# CQR very easily. Our sistership with the same windlass has 5/16" G4 and a Rockna 25 and reports the same.

Regards,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 13:15   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I ordered this cutter and have been happy with it thus far.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 14:09   #10

a hack saw works fine.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 15:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Bob,

A little-known tool known as the "Handi-Cut" sold by Sears is the most useful and versatile cutting tool I've ever seen. And, they're cheap. I have four...at home, on the boat, in several tool kits. I use them several times a day for many cutting tasks.

These puppies will cut thru 2/0, 4/0 or any smaller size wire like butter, making a very clean cut. Moreover, they're very useful for stripping the cables, for cutting heat-shrink tubing, and for many, many other tasks.

This link shows the two sizes. I have just the smaller one, and find it's all I need. They sell for $19.95 and, sometimes, are on sale for $15. They come with extra blades in the handle. Be sure to buy extra blades, though, and an extra plastic cutting platform. These are sometimes hard to find, so I snap 'em up whenever I see one.

Here's the link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003b

Bill

Thanks Bill....
Ordered the set with some extra blades... will keep on on the boat and one at home.
The larger cutters are great, but once done with the rewire won't have much need for it... just like the big ancor cable crimper I have. But it will do a quality crimp, and thats what I want.
Thanks to all that posted. I appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2009, 15:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Bob--

I sized our 2/0 wire on the strength of the advice of Grodon May, Bill Treyfors et al. Upon checking with a fairly accurate meter, I found less than a 3% voltage drop from the batteries mounted in the engine space to our windlass. We have the Maxwell VW1200 that collects our 3/8" chain and our 45# CQR very easily. Our sistership with the same windlass has 5/16" G4 and a Rockna 25 and reports the same.

Regards,

s/v HyLyte
I think I will go with the 4/0, but will wait till the end and see. I don't like that the PO had a battery there, so there is a break in the wire, down low for the battery connection, which is now corroded.
Old 02-11-2009, 15:43   #13
S&S

No-one was ever sorry using larger gauge wire.
Old 02-11-2009, 15:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
No-one was ever sorry using larger gauge wire.

Until you realize it doesn't fit.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
I think I will go with the 4/0, but will wait till the end and see. I don't like that the PO had a battery there, so there is a break in the wire, down low for the battery connection, which is now corroded.
If you can find a Berkshire Wire dealer their UL 1426 marine battery cable is considerably more flexible, a handy feature with 4/0, than Ancor, Cobra or Pacer wire is.

It's the wire I use exclusively these days. Very nice stuff, less expensive and made in MA, USA...

Berkshire Cable & Electric Co. (LINK)

Genuinedealz.com is also a very good place for marine battery cable and they will install lugs for $1.00 each plus the materials and adhesive lined heat shrink. Their 4/0 wire is $7.74 per foot. Their cable seems to change manufacturer from time to time but the usual suspects like Ancor, Berkshire, Pacer and Cobra all make good stuff..

Tags
battery