Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 14:23   #1

Boat: Voyage 500
Best Solar Array's and Chargers?

I have seen a number of threads on solar and chargers, so pardon me if this appears redundant. I am looking for the sailors choice of best solar panel and charging system manufacturer. Ones that you have installed, trust and live by daily for the best solution of flexible non rigid panels, easy maintenance and panel efficiency combined with chargers and monitoring. These would be installed on a Catamaran, specifically either an FP40 or FP44. I am just not convinced the std FP solar package is worth the price for the low energy output.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:00   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Re: Best Solar Array's and Chargers?

I've got a pair of Kocyera 85's installed by PO. Working good after 10 years. Just now re-wiring to a parallel input with a victron regulator-good unit that adapts to a variety of charging schedules
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 20:28   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I went thru this scenario about two years ago. Sun Power is the most efficient panel, followed by Panasonic/Sanyo. That said, you need to determine what fits, and the maximum wattage for the space allowed. Most of the flexible panels have significantly reduced wattage for the same foot print at higher prices. MPPT chargers are similar, Outback, Midnite solar, Rogue, and Blue Sky all get the job done depending on the size of the array.

There is a 30% Federal tax credit for solar. This is for the entire job.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 08:46   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

That 30% tax credit, how does it apply. I don't live on my boat full time yet.
Old 23-10-2016, 12:32   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

https://www.solar-electric.com/media...yg/ITC-FAQ.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf

It does not need to be your primary residence. Call your CPA.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

For a cat hardtop? Solara PowerM "walk on" panels using real Sun Power cells and one Genasun or Victron controller for each panel... not cheap but wonderful

Disclaimer
I sell these and many other panels
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 00:51   #7

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
For a cat hardtop? Solara PowerM "walk on" panels using real Sun Power cells and one Genasun or Victron controller for each panel... not cheap but wonderful

Disclaimer
Where are you located? Or where do you sell them from?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 02:07   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post

Disclaimer
some pics of installation would be lovely.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 18:17   #9

Boat: Westsail 28

Divedoug68 , I would be interested to know what your power requirements are and the batts. you have . Because you asked "ones you have installed" , actually I got into it late in the game but that turned out to be a good thing . Product development and all that . My total cost for my panel and charge controller was about $300. I also needed some extension cables $ 25. And I made a nice frame out of oak . The new type panels are so light I just clip mine to the life lines . Yes they are semi flexible , but I wouldn't .
The panel.... Auction 100 Watt 100W 12V 12 Volt Lightweight Solar Panel RV Boat Marine | eBay
There are a lot of people selling this panel , the key thing here is Monocrystalline as opposed to Polycrystalline
The controller..... https://www.altestore.com/store/char...FYVXfgodZTAI3w
The key thing here is MPPT controller .
Anyhow all summer long it worked flawless
Our house bank consists of 2 6v Trojan t 105's . The panel is hooked up to these . Our power requirement is pretty small , no reefer all LED lighting we use a 110v TV and a 12v Sirius boom box . As far as monitoring the only thing I do is check Voltage , When the sun is out I'm reading 13.5 v at night be for bed I check and was never below 12.4 V . We are usually gone for 2 wks. at a time .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Where are you located? Or where do you sell them from?
On the East Coast (Annapolis); there are many dealers... someone asked for a picture of an installation:

http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/s...pg-500x500.jpg
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Divedoug68,

Sunpower are the best cells to get right now. They put out the most power for the weight and size which is very important on a catamaran.

You can get Sunpower x21 cells in hard panels or Flex panels. 22% high output efficiency

If your looking for something cheaper you can get the hard Renogy 100W for around $115 usd.

Victron MPPT controllers and Victron BMV-700 battery monitor are what a lot of cruisers are using right now.

Another option is to have Uchimata install a solar panel system right at the FP factory.
They can put in any configuration you would like before your catamaran leave France.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hélia-44-720w-Solar-Panels-10-1024x768.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	134769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hélia-44-720w-Solar-Panels-11-1024x768.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	134770  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:52   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450

Agree with those using Sunpower panels. We have an array of E20-327's feeding into Outback FM80. Mounted high behind the cockpit. Excellent energy. No noise. Charged batts. They've been champs now for 2.5yrs and counting.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18   #13

I dont understand why it is so difficult for the manufacturers to make effective solar panels.
Is it durability? The possibility to walk on them, thinness? Of course there is different applications but does not most people want them to primary give as much wattage as possible per area. Secondary requirements like possibility to walk on, size, thickness, withstanding hail etc etc.
I been experimenting with a new concept of solar panels. So far comparing my home made to those manufactured.
I get a lot better wattage out of them then any sun panel manufacturer. I made a square about 300x300mm and got 276W out of it. It took a while but I did not set it high in voltage but instead on 13,8V. I get an average of 20,1 Amps. Now if I were to resize this into a regular size panel I figure I need to take it about times 12 – 300x3= 900 wide and 300x4 high makes 3x12. That would make me 276x12 = 3312 Watts per solar panel. With 2 of these I would feed my household electric (including heating).
I even believe if one installed such panel in the roof top of a Tesla it would make wall chargin redundant.
My problems is.
They are ugly as H….
They are thick, nearly 8cm.
They cant be walked on, yet.

If I refind this, could there be a market? I do believe so.
I will experiment some more and come back with some more results.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, solar