Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 17:48   #1

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40
Best Inverter

I would like your opinions on the best inverter. We have an 8 year old xatrex 2500 watt that we haven't had any trouble with but we're wondering if there is something better to look at. This is for a 40 ft. Trawler with dual 210 hp cummins. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Inverter

You will get some flak on "best", it really depends.
Might help if you state some desires, like do you want it to have a big charger, how big of an inverter etc.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I've been pretty happy with my Victron inverter/charger overall. Looking at the guts during installation it is beautifully assembled. A few complaints. The DIP switches for changing the charging mode did not work, but the free software and Ethernet cable to change the setup solved all that.

Whichever inverter you get I highly recommend one with boost mode. Victron, Mastervolt and Magnum offer models with this feature.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:05   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Stick with what you have if it works IMO.

The main "modern" inverter features that you probably don't have are:

- generator load limiting by the charger function. Helps when charging batteries and power is needed elsewhere.

- generator "boost assist" to help support short duration loads the generator would otherwise not handle by itself. Allows installing a smaller generator sized for "nominal" loads without need to worry so much about peak loads.

- pure sine wave output.

There are other "kewl" features but these are the big three. Several units have these features. Mastervolt & Victron are two names.

But really ask yourself if you "need" these features. It is easy to upgrade a perfectly working inverter system and reduce reliability.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:40   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebootlegger View Post
I would like your opinions on the best inverter. We have an 8 year old xatrex 2500 watt that we haven't had any trouble with but we're wondering if there is something better to look at. This is for a 40 ft. Trawler with dual 210 hp cummins. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
===

The answer to your question depends a lot on what type of cruising you do and how much you depend on your inverter. What would be your level of inconvenience if it failed, and how long would it take you to replace it? The older Xantrex inverters do not have a great track record for durability or service. That said, ours lasted 8 or 9 glitch filled years until it finally went down for good. I replaced it last year with a Magnum based on good reports from others. You'll also need a remote panel for configuration and monitoring. If your Xantrex continues to work and you could be without it for a while, I'd just continue with it, perhaps with a backup inverter on board if you have space for it.

Since purchasing the Magnum I've discovered another inverter I like at a much lower price point:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I36K1VQ

I first bought one of these to use at home as a heavy duty computer UPS system and liked it so much that I ordered a second one to carry aboard the boat as a backup unit. It is very rugged and feature rich but the manual requires some careful study to fully understand the configuration options.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use a Magnum PAE. It has 2-120v legs for 120v or 240v needs in 1 inverter. Incoming AC supply passes thru the inverter to my main AC panel. When shore power or generator power is cut off, the inverter switches to batteries and supplies needed AC. When the inverter is off, no battery power is used. With shore power or generator power the inverter charges the batteries.
I like it because everything is contained in the main wiring. No switches, no changing plugs, no complicated wiring.
I have 2 Detroit 671 mains. One has a 12v alternator that maintains starting batteries and a backup 12v inverter bank and the other main has a 48v alternator for the Magnum inverter banks.
While I have 2 generators, when running the mains, I don't need a generator running to have AC.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:47   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I had a Heart Interface 2000 which was the precursor of yours and it worked fine for many years. Based on what I have read from users on this site and looking at other sites and the manufacturers' sites, I am leaning to get a Victron I/C. I don't think I would get a Victron standalone charger though. Some people are very happy with Outback, and Magnum, and Mastervolt, etc. My old Prosine I/C is still chugging along but I would really like a backup for it as it will eventually fail. I would go with a pure sine wave in any case though.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:45   #8
Zil

I did a lot of internet research. My compromises were mostly based on cost, but reported dependability came into the discussion. I purchased a Samlex 2000 PSW. I have used it for microwave, coffee pot, and toaster. About six months, so far. It does not have a charger as I feel each device should specialize in it's function and not compromise. I have a separate ProMariner charger.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We've had good luck with Victron, Mastervolt, Magnum, and Outback and very poor luck with Xantrex.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:51   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
It does not have a charger as I feel each device should specialize in it's function and not compromise. I have a separate ProMariner charger.

There is no compromise - the charge function is just the reverse of the invert function. It is only semantics that separate them, and both functions are equally "specialized".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:49   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is no compromise - the charge function is just the reverse of the invert function. It is only semantics that separate them, and both functions are equally "specialized".

Mark
I think his point may be that a stand alone charger is more "feature rich" for charging than an inverter / charger?
I have a Magnum inverter / charger and a Sterling charger, the Sterling has some features the Magnum does not and vice - versa, so I can see how it would appear that the stand alone charger may appear to be more programmable?
Both seem to be excellent chargers, although they handle the switch to float differently etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:14   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Best Inverter

I can't imagine which charger features are missing from a good combo unit. Our Outback and Victron units allow fine and total control over every parameter including incoming AC current. Likewise for the inverter functions. They will even automatically start up and stop the generator upon reaching a user-defined parameter set if I want them to.

I'm pretty sure they have MORE functionality and control than any stand alone charger or inverter.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53   #13

It's hard to imagine a more feature rich charger than the Victron Multi Inverter/Charger. Better, their laptop configuration software is very easy to use and a free download (you do need the MK2 USB to Victron network adapter for about $70).

I greatly prefer this software to the dip switches or cryptic one line messages and complicated button combinations required with most charger control panels.

For a sense of the features, here's the software manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...nfigure-EN.pdf

You can also download the software and play with it in a "demo mode" without owning a Victron. Click on VE Configuration Tools

https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter