Originally Posted by Ike
So, all that to tell you, put them in a vented compartment. The vent doesn't have to be large, any old opening will do as long as it is in the top part of the compartment. Hydrogen dissipates extremely fast.
The USCG, ABYC, ISO and all the standards makers require them to in a vented space. And yes some have blown up that weren't in a vented space where there were also ignition sources.
Thanks. On my boat, the compartment in question is contiguous with the engine
compartment, and beyond that I have a cowling vent terminated just aft and above the battery (although that was more luck in where the old vent hose tore than planning on my part). This was my first real fiberglass project
. The second will be to build a box for the AGM emergency
start battery, which will go just aft of the 4D.
I should mention that I've been greatly helped by an ABYC electrician who has been mentoring me along the way. He's brought up small details that the surveyor
missed, like the fact that none of the sources were fused (now fixed) nor was the wire properly routed and protected (now fixed). So what began as merely trying to replace a couple of dead batteries has turned into multiple fuse blocks, terminal fuses
, new batteries and mounts, new busses, an additional 1-2-all switch, an ACR, and a battery monitor
Ahhh, the joys of boat ownership
Here's photos of my before and after (first pass) work on the house load system. There's still a lot to be done, but notice originally all the bilge
pumps, voltmeter, VHF
, and the original distribution panels
were all tapped directly off of the battery terminal. The 6-2 wire is from the alternator
via an old diode based battery isolator I found in the engine
compartment, but I ran out of wire to replace it on this round of funding
. I also have since added a negative bus bar to fix everything being terminated on the shunt.
-- my old boss used to always tell us to get used to working with the two things you'll always have: "not enough time and not enough money