Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
HEY!

That was MY idea!!!

; -P

Well there you have it....the first official CF patent race..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrainofsand View Post
Who uses lead acid battries on a boat anymore?
You do.

No? So what are your AGMs made of?

b.

Old 04-05-2010, 20:37   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sugar and spice and everything nice?

Oh, wait, I'm confusing AGMs with little girls or puppy dog tails again, aren't I?
Old 04-05-2010, 22:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just for clarity:

AGM (absorbed glass matt) = lead acid battery.
Gel = lead acid battery.

Maybe you meant flooded cell battery.
Old 12-05-2010, 22:57   #20
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Wherever they fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
We had a similar issue on our 34' sloop. We wanted a large battery bank and there was no way we could fit it all in the original starboard battery compartment. Plus the boat already had a built in starboard list. And that's why we went with AGMs - one in the original compartment, two under the aft bunk, and one under the nav station - actually got rid of the list. You can mount them anywhere - upright or sideways. I have even seen them mounted in bilges - somehow I'm not ready for that. As hellosailor points out, the only real limiting factor is thick cable runs.
Here's how I made the mounting for the 4D AGM I located under my quarterberth. It's a framework of heavy duty PVC that was glassed in on a foam riser. Then a glassed piece of marine ply was floated on a slurry of thickened resin, with the battery set on wrapped in plastic to self level. Then everything was filled, sanded, filled, sanded, glassed, sanded, sanded, sanded, and gel coated. It probably could have used another several hours of sanding, but it *is* in the quarterberth after all. There are slots left for the straps on both axis. The battery itself sits on its side. The second battery is under the settee forward of the chart table (Catalina 30 Mk I).

Hopefully the photos will work...

JRM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6_iph1Medium.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	16069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6_iph2Medium.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	16070  

Name:	IMG_7812Medium.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	16071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7823Medium.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	16072  

Old 12-05-2010, 23:22   #21
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat
What's important to remember here is venting. ALL batteries need to be vented even AGMs and Gel Cells. It's a common myth that they don't give off hydrogen gas. But these type batteries are also known as Sealed Valve Regulated Batteries. The key here is valve regulated. There is a small valve in each cell. That valve only opens if the pressure in the cell exceeds the limits set by the battery design, which will happen if the battery is overcharged or overheated. AGMs and Gel cels are temperature and voltage sensitive. That is, when charging the voltage must be kept within a range specified by the battery manufacturer and the temperature must not exceed a value set by the manufacturer. Most AGM and Gel cel manufacturers specify a battery charger that is voltage regualted to the specific battery requirements and senses the temperature of the battery. Chargers made for regular Lead Acid batteries are not temperature sensitive and will overcharge AGms and Gel cells.

So, all that to tell you, put them in a vented compartment. The vent doesn't have to be large, any old opening will do as long as it is in the top part of the compartment. Hydrogen dissipates extremely fast.

The USCG, ABYC, ISO and all the standards makers require them to in a vented space. And yes some have blown up that weren't in a vented space where there were also ignition sources.
Old 13-05-2010, 00:55   #22
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
snip...

So, all that to tell you, put them in a vented compartment. The vent doesn't have to be large, any old opening will do as long as it is in the top part of the compartment. Hydrogen dissipates extremely fast.

The USCG, ABYC, ISO and all the standards makers require them to in a vented space. And yes some have blown up that weren't in a vented space where there were also ignition sources.
Thanks. On my boat, the compartment in question is contiguous with the engine compartment, and beyond that I have a cowling vent terminated just aft and above the battery (although that was more luck in where the old vent hose tore than planning on my part). This was my first real fiberglass project. The second will be to build a box for the AGM emergency start battery, which will go just aft of the 4D.

I should mention that I've been greatly helped by an ABYC electrician who has been mentoring me along the way. He's brought up small details that the surveyor missed, like the fact that none of the sources were fused (now fixed) nor was the wire properly routed and protected (now fixed). So what began as merely trying to replace a couple of dead batteries has turned into multiple fuse blocks, terminal fuses, new batteries and mounts, new busses, an additional 1-2-all switch, an ACR, and a battery monitor Ahhh, the joys of boat ownership...

Here's photos of my before and after (first pass) work on the house load system. There's still a lot to be done, but notice originally all the bilge pumps, voltmeter, VHF, and the original distribution panels were all tapped directly off of the battery terminal. The 6-2 wire is from the alternator via an old diode based battery isolator I found in the engine compartment, but I ran out of wire to replace it on this round of funding. I also have since added a negative bus bar to fix everything being terminated on the shunt.

JRM

-- my old boss used to always tell us to get used to working with the two things you'll always have: "not enough time and not enough money."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7820Medium.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	16077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7828Medium.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	16078  

Old 13-05-2010, 08:37   #23
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat
Good work. Nice and neat.

Make sure you label all the wiring, and make a diagram of it so those who come after will know where everything goes.
Old 13-05-2010, 14:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
And mark, mark, mark the wires.

My nightmare is people askin' 'can you help?' only to find the same problem nearly every time - spaghetti of wires, none marked. In my boat it is nothing fancy - a masking tape and permanent pen at each end, but it does help lots when things stop working.

b.
Old 14-05-2010, 22:42   #25
JRM

buyers market

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And mark, mark, mark the wires.

My nightmare is people askin' 'can you help?' only to find the same problem nearly every time - spaghetti of wires, none marked. In my boat it is nothing fancy - a masking tape and permanent pen at each end, but it does help lots when things stop working.

b.
As part of the survey adjustments during purchase (in November), we took a total hip shot and asked that all unlabeled wires and switches be labeled by a certified electrician. Guy really wanted to part with the boat, because he agreed and had it done. Granted, the guy did it numerically, but it won't take me that long to modify it to plain text.

Just an idea for something to ask for during purchase. We also got a fairing and epoxy barrier coat for the bottom, and a rebuilt wind instrument. We asked for the moon, planning to negotiate down to something reasonable, and the guy just agreed to everything.

JRM

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: