Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 12:02   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: best battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I've read differing statements regarding how large a battery charger should be for a given size bank. Trojan say 10-13% of 20 hr capacity. MS and other have said 20%. I'm trying to decide on a new charger for a new flooded LA bank. The bank will be between 480 to 780 AH of golf cart batteries, depending on what I can stuff in the space. Probably Trojans. I need a "world voltage" capable charger and would prefer it to be capable of operation from a Honda EU2000 on rare occasions. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Sterling Procharge Ultra 60 amp, or the Newmar PT-80 80 amp. I like the Sterling for its configurability and especially its price, but I'm concerned that it's a bit underpowered for my potential bank and does not appear to be very robust. I also really like the Newmar as it has a reputation of being bullet-proof, but it's not as configurable and a lot more expensive. Any reccomendations for one over the other or for something else all together.

If you are dockside, and have the time, then 10% of "C" is fine. Batteries do like slow charges. If you are cruising you want 20-25% of "C" to speed the bulk stage. With the Honda EU2K you will be limited to approx 60-80A depending upon how efficient the charger is..
Old 13-09-2013, 12:12   #47

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I've read differing statements regarding how large a battery charger should be for a given size bank. Trojan say 10-13% of 20 hr capacity. MS and other have said 20%. I'm trying to decide on a new charger for a new flooded LA bank. The bank will be between 480 to 780 AH of golf cart batteries, depending on what I can stuff in the space. Probably Trojans. I need a "world voltage" capable charger and would prefer it to be capable of operation from a Honda EU2000 on rare occasions. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Sterling Procharge Ultra 60 amp, or the Newmar PT-80 80 amp. I like the Sterling for its configurability and especially its price, but I'm concerned that it's a bit underpowered for my potential bank and does not appear to be very robust. I also really like the Newmar as it has a reputation of being bullet-proof, but it's not as configurable and a lot more expensive. Any reccomendations for one over the other or for something else all together.

Lots of debate on this topic in many, many threads. FWIW, I had a 50-amp Xantrex XC5012 professionally installed three yrs. ago, along with three Lifeline 8D batts. rated @225ah each. The first XC5012 was defective and had to be returned shortly after installation. The second one has been seemingly flawless after three years.

As for charger sizing, I initially thought my 50-amp Xantrex was woefully inadequate for 675ah of total batt. capacity, and maybe it is. But then I realized it only charges each of my three batts. one at a time, automatically switching to the other batts. based on need. It made me wonder whether the sizing recommendations (10-20% of "C") are based on my total capacity (675ah), or the capacity of each one of the 225ah batts. that is being charged at any given time.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 05:06   #48
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

has anyone seen these cheaper?
Trojan T 105 Deepcycle Battery Backup Preppers Free Delivery in The Lower 48 | eBay
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery