Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2007, 12:23   #31

I like flooded because they're cheap, simple, and easy to find anywhere. You could (in a pinch) replace a rather beefy rig for a few hundred bucks at sears.

I'm been thinking of doing the AGM thing, but there are different rules and requirements, so maybe if those fit in with our sailing style we'll do it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 18:55   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Study Hall? What forum section is that?

NiCad batteries were (and AFAIK still are) used for some purposes like telecomm backup banks. Or at least, some type of nickel in wet acid--not the NiCad "paste" that we see used in flashlight batteries. IIRC wet lead still holds the cost advantage, possibly because there is so much of it in use, although industrial users are also moving to AGM in order to reduce the dangers of acid and hydrogen in interior spaces. (One worker burned with acid, costs a lot more than a stack of AGM batteries.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 22:39   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Study Hall? What forum section is that?
The "Study Hall" is a sticky at the top of each Forum section. Within is information that will be considered correct and accurate industry standard information. The Hall is closed to general posting. When we have a common topic question that tends to be asked over and over, hopefully the answer will be, "Go take a look in the Study Hall". If further questions arise fromt he information in the Study Hall, then posters are invited to open a thread with such question. I am hoping this will reduce possible boring questions and open up more in depth discussion when a question is asked.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 22:41   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
If wind generation is not an option look at the range of Sanyo solar panels specially the type HT 210 it generates up to 210 watt and for your boat Heavenly Twins one panel will be enough.Good Luck
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 00:13   #35

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
batteries

Any advise on the "Full River" DC series AGM batteries? I had not seen this brand but its appearing in quite a few mags lately.

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21   #36

Just depends on what kind of usage they will get. I know this is a cruisers forum, so if money was no concern get Rolls brand lead acid.They are bomb proof batteries that last 3 times as long as a normal lead acid, there overall construction and ease of maintainance are other great points.

I'm not a fan of AGMs, although you can spank them hard and get a lot of amps out of them, install them on there side, charge rates are better. You must change the output on the alternator, if they gas at all they're toast. These batteries cannot be maintainanced, and when looking at regular lead acid you get a quarter of the life for a much higher price tag.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48   #37

Boat: Endeavour E40
AGM for all 3........ that's what I have and never had an issue..
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19   #38

Boat: Schock 35
Check the various tests in Practical Sailor.
In Deep
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 15:11   #39

batts

Thanks But i was looking at the brand as they are new to me (Chinise takaways) that are reportly sold thru out Europe & USA. I was hoping to hear from someone with the "product" on their boat.
Regards Bill Goodward
Old 02-12-2007, 15:23   #40

It was pretty easy searching for LA batteries, but AGMs were very difficult to find some standings on as far as life span of the battery. The best guess I can get for AGMs is about 400 to 500 cycles. Where as regular grp27 will do about 250(for about 60$). Rolls batteries start at around 1300 cycles with a design life of 7 to 10 years and are warranted from 7 to 10 years depending on model. Obviously everyone has a preference but things like cost, longevity, weight, and there own personal experince will wiegh in. Happy hunting everyone.

Rolls Battery
Old 02-12-2007, 17:21   #41

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Fullriver batteries

Bill,
I have tested and used Fullriver batteries. There are a lot of crap products coming out of China yet this brand made in a high tech production facility lacking nothing compared to other manufacturers around the world. In fact, these batteries tested out as having the best kilo-Watt-hour capacity per volume of any lead-acid battery that I have tested. I was quite surprised because I have tested some crap Chinese batteries from other facilities that I wouldn't waste any dollars on.

As a test I left one battery in a closet for over 5 years without a charge and put loads on it and recharged it. No other lead-acid battery, sealed or otherwise, have I observed to come anywhere close to this. This is one prima-facie piece of evidence that truly that manufacturing process results in great purity minimizing local discharge effects.

On the other hand, the worst kilo-watt-hour per volume battery that I tested was the Rolls. They apparently have such thick plates and much wasted space dedicated to beautiful cases within cases that there just isn't much surface area left to do much! Their internal resistance is quite high for their supposed quality and when high inverter loads are applied the terminal voltage just crashes compared with lower internal resistance batteries.

So here are two "end values" that I have personally observed with measurements over the years. There are other good batteries as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 20:02   #42

batts

Thanks Rick Was that the Full River AGM?
Old 02-12-2007, 22:45   #43

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Well--once I had Lucas english batteries, wood separators lead acid charged by a generator not an alternator--and got eight years out of one and thirteen out of the other. These days I use gel cells which have an important advantage in being sealed and invertable--if you do go over and ship water your bilge pumps will still work and you will not get choked with chlorine, and your radio might still be OK. As soon as you can get the bilges drained you can check manifolds and if dry you will be able to start your diesel--since your mast or your sails at least are probably damaged. If you are in a multi you still need your pumps. So there is a safety factor in gelcells, even starved electrolyte sealed cells will be OK. The most important thing is your radio if OK will still have battery--so you can talk to your rescuers assuming your epirb worked OK.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 00:39   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The FLA's I have, have a anti-spill cap fitted to them. So even FLA batteries can be made to withstand roll overs.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:33   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
We do use Absorbed Power batteries and they work well They are chinese made and we get them form Absorbed Power AGM Batteries Australia
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery