Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 02:10   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
This is an old thread, but good companies deserve our endorsement. I have a number of Bebi lights with no failures or problems.
If you are looking for a cockpit light. This is one of their products. I attached it by simply sewing it on. The wires are concealed under the flap.
The unit is waterproof with a magnetic switch.
The only slight problem is that the magnetic switch will very occasionally turn on if the circuit breaker is on and another circuit is activated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bebi light.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	17738  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:35   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As I understand it, USCG lamp certification (complete lamp, including bulb and fixture and lens and whatever else is integral) is like Underwriter's Lab (UL) certification. You have to PAY FOR THE TESTING and that's surprisingly expensive. Then if you change one component, you have to do it all over again.

Considering that LED elements are rapidly improving and you can expect a high-end one ot be obsoleted in a year or two, three tops....Bebi are just very practical about not passing on the expense (five figures, IIRC) of certification to the small number of purchasers. And they are completely up front about saying their lamps are not certified, but they are made with premium LEDs and built and tested to exceed the USCG/Colregs specifications. Which is all that matters, when push comes to shove.
You're worried about lawsuits because the lamp isn't certified? Legally, it doesn't matter if the lamp is certified--it matters if the lamp was PERFORMING up to spec. If I wanted to attack someone for not being properly lit up at night, I'd say well, your lamps were certified, but since your battery was at 50% and the lamp tests were performed at higher voltage...your USCG certified lamps weren't visible anyhow.
Now go defend it before the jury. Same same. You'd have a better chance saying "OK, here's the lamp I had, let's go test it out" and showing how those Bebi lamps far exceed the USCG minimums.
He said, she said, blah blah blah. The proof is in the pudding. Plum or fig, as you prefer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights