Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 02:09   #1
GLM

Bavaria 42 cruiser wiring

Hi there - I have a 2004 Bavaria 42 cruiser with front Nav lights that have stopped working. No voltage getting there - rear Nav light is fine. Does anyone know the exact cable pathway......ie how it gets from the switch board to the light. There has to be some joins somewhere as the cable is different at each end. I have had a basic look but would be good to get some pointers before I start pulling things apart.

I have owned the yacht for over a year and this nav light has been fine until a few weeks ago.

Cheers
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bavaria 42 cruiser wiring

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GLM.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 18:12   #3

Have you checked for voltage going to the front with the switch in running pos, at the switch? Could also put 12v to the front light at the switch leads to verify you dont have an open going to the bow
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 21:03   #4

The front nav lights going on the blink is very common as when beating that area gets lots and lots of salt water. Often there is a joint with a plug around the pulpit but if not its probably wired direct to the lite itself and often secondary wires are then run thru the pulpit stainless tubing to the other side. Pull the cover off the navlite and turn the power on to see if you have power coming into the fixture. If you have the inside connectors are probably all corroded which you might be able to clean up or if it's bad enough then they will need replacing. When you get everything working again buy and install a masthead nav light, it can actually be seen on the open ocean but your lowers are handy for close in work. When the nav light that's first in line for power goes out it takes the second one out with it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 00:34   #5
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

If it is like my Bavaria, the wires are run behind the eye level cabinets through the salon on the panel side of the boat.
Empty the cabinets and take out the back wall *four small screws.
You should be able to see all of the wires going forward.

Hope this helps.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 01:38   #6
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
Have you checked for voltage going to the front with the switch in running pos, at the switch? Could also put 12v to the front light at the switch leads to verify you dont have an open going to the bow

Thanks for this - used a multi-meter - no voltage now - did have about 7volts when I first detected the problem ....now nothing.
Old 27-03-2018, 01:39   #7
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
If it is like my Bavaria, the wires are run behind the eye level cabinets through the salon on the panel side of the boat.

Empty the cabinets and take out the back wall *four small screws.

You should be able to see all of the wires going forward.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -will give this a go - must have a join somewhere
Old 27-03-2018, 01:50   #8
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The front nav lights going on the blink is very common as when beating that area gets lots and lots of salt water. Often there is a joint with a plug around the pulpit but if not its probably wired direct to the lite itself and often secondary wires are then run thru the pulpit stainless tubing to the other side. Pull the cover off the navlite and turn the power on to see if you have power coming into the fixture. If you have the inside connectors are probably all corroded which you might be able to clean up or if it's bad enough then they will need replacing. When you get everything working again buy and install a masthead nav light, it can actually be seen on the open ocean but your lowers are handy for close in work. When the nav light that's first in line for power goes out it takes the second one out with it.

Thanks for this - I have removed the fitting and cut off the spade connectors - no voltage. The cable does run through the pulpit on the port side then down into the anchor locker and runs though a hole I can see in bulkhead with I assume the windless cables (can see this when I stick my head in the anchor well) I think it must be behind the padded bow section at the foot of the bed? I assume I can take this off?. The cables do not appear near the water tank via the inspection hatch under the bed so must run though the side somehow + do not appear in the bow head side access either.

Sorry for the long reply but agree there must be a join somewhere as both the bow and stern nav lights have different cable to what is in the main switch.....stern light is fine.

Cheers
Old 27-03-2018, 09:52   #9

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Welcome to the forum, Ive found it really useful.

I wired my own boat and I forgot where I ran all the wires and for what. I invested in a "screamer" its a cable tracer. we use them at work so I just use it on the boat, saves endless hours of mental and physical searching.

here is one on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Tra...MAAOSw5E9apnXS
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 04:00   #10

Boat: Bavaria 38 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Thanks for this - I have removed the fitting and cut off the spade connectors - no voltage. The cable does run through the pulpit on the port side then down into the anchor locker and runs though a hole I can see in bulkhead with I assume the windless cables (can see this when I stick my head in the anchor well) I think it must be behind the padded bow section at the foot of the bed? I assume I can take this off?. The cables do not appear near the water tank via the inspection hatch under the bed so must run though the side somehow + do not appear in the bow head side access either.

Sorry for the long reply but agree there must be a join somewhere as both the bow and stern nav lights have different cable to what is in the main switch.....stern light is fine.

Cheers
At my BAV 38 2003 I can remove the board at the foot of the bed. There you find more cable connections like the heavy ones for the windless. So maybe also for the nav lights.
maraergein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, cruise, cruiser, wiring