Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 20:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Bauer Jnr 11 power consumption .HELP

I am pulling my hair out...I bought a Bauer Jnr 11 dive compressor with a European 230 v single phase 50 hz motor. On my boat , I have a new 7.6 D-NET generator , 115v 60hz.
I turfed the motor and was advised to get a 220v , 60hz motor , which I did. After speaking to a marine electrician , he advised against it because my genset can either be a 220v or 115v , but not both at the same time. I would have all sort of balancing issues etc.
Now it seems I have to turf this new motor , have not even run it!!
My question is this..has any one got the similar set up and will the 7.6 kw genset Handel the start up spike of a 115v 60 hz motor that I should maybe have bought in the first place ?
The 115 v motor draws 29 amps when running
The genset limit is 63 amps
People have recommended a frequency drive at a thousand $ plus !
What about a soft start for a single phase 115v motor ?
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:09   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Bauer Jnr 11 power consumption .HELP

Do you have one of these Bauer compressors: JII 3W-H or JII 3W-HU? If so the techman states that the motor provides 2.2kW @ 230VAC so the full load amps (FLA) is 9.6AAC. Start up without a soft start module would be as much as six times this which is pretty close to the absolute limit of your genset. (Nice genset, BTW.)

Quote:
After speaking to a marine electrician , he advised against it because my genset can either be a 220v or 115v , but not both at the same time. I would have all sort of balancing issues etc.
This genset, as will all major gensets made for the US market, can produce 240/120VAC simultaneously. L1-N > one leg of 120VAC; L2-N > second leg of 120VAC; L1-L2 > 240VAC loads. There are literally thousands of these installations in service. A bit of care on balancing the loads is required, but only a bit.

If I were in your shoes, I would use the 220VAC/60Hz motor; wire the genset as above; and try it. If the genset bogs down too much, add a soft start module. Oh, and give Westerbeke tech support a call.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 16:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

I have been selling those little guys for years and my electrical guru says that with the 115 VAC version, he suggests a minimum of 9KW for a gen set with optimal being 11 KW. He also said that with the 220 VAC motor, the minimum changes to 7KW.

These number are assuming you are using Bauer's motors but will work with just about anyone's, I'm sure.

I know nothing about your genset but it sounds like Charlie does and I think his recommendation is spot on.

Good luck!

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 18:51   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The higher genset capacity recommendation may be to allow you to restart the system at high pressure, which gives you the highest starting load. You can always blow down the system and restart the motor, which is what I had to do with my Honda-powered Bauer. You don't need to turn off the motor to change tanks.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 19:00   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
I have been selling those little guys for years and my electrical guru says that with the 115 VAC version, he suggests a minimum of 9KW for a gen set with optimal being 11 KW. He also said that with the 220 VAC motor, the minimum changes to 7KW.

These number are assuming you are using Bauer's motors but will work with just about anyone's, I'm sure.

I know nothing about your genset but it sounds like Charlie does and I think his recommendation is spot on.

Good luck!
Ray,

Can you get away with a 5kw (240 V) genset if you have a inverter/charger with boost (such as vitron Quattro) and soft start ? Once running no problem, just the start issue.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 19:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

The rated amperage is based on operating at full pressure. Yes, there is a huge spike to start and then it drops down considerably. and, yes, a soft start system eases that huge draw. However, as you run the compressor the increased pressure causes the motor to have to work harder ... translating into higher amperage.

So, as for running one of these on 5kw, our official company policy is NO WAY!

Old 22-01-2013, 19:54   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Ray,

The Bauer Oceanus w (next size up) has a 3kw motor. What size genset do you recommend for it.

Would a 7kw handle it?

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 21:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

The Junior comes with a 2.2kw (3hp) motor while the Oceanus has a 3.7kw (5 hp) motor. So, it looks like it would be borderline at best and your dealer should say NO!

Tags
consumption