Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2014, 15:23   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Battery/Solar Arrangement Questions

I'd suggest "measure twice, cut once". Install a battery/charge monitor, which you will need regardless of what system you finally go with. See how long you can go with the two AGMs you have, at a 30-40% depth of discharge. Maybe even 50%. In the worst case you will just use them up a bit faster (at 50% compared to 30%) and you'll have used them, as opposed to tossing them.

Given that the east coast is not the tropics, your fridge may not be a killer load. So again, what you've got may be good enough for now. Do an inventory of your electrical loads and see what is taking power. You may find, as many others have, that simply replacing all the lighting (nav & interior) with LED lights cuts a tremendous amount of power use, and pays for the expense of the conversion.

On the windlass, check the wiring. On a boat your size there may be 100' of cabling (round trip) to the windlass and the voltage drop in that can be huge. Or else the cable cost is huge. Whether you choose to put a battery forward could depend on whether the cabling is adequate enough not to.

What to do with the AGMs, whether to keep them, repurpose them, etc., are all a bit premature until you know how well they might do the existing job.

And if charging them from the engine from time to time is part of the picture, there's also the question of optimizing that charging system, using a continuous-duty alternator and external regulator. Which again would be something you want regardless of the battery solution you choose.

Old 13-05-2014, 15:28   #32

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

hellosailor, great points. The fridge is a brand new Isotherm unit with a through-hull cooler, so it should be pretty efficient. I have decided to go with a new bank of 6V golf cart batteries. The two AGM batteries and one starting battery I have now will be saved and repurposed somehow. I have yet to install the windlass, so I could use the AGM's for that. I have some thinking to do I suppose.

Old 13-05-2014, 15:32   #33
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I'm just not sure what I need... I ended up ordering the 3 Kyocera 140W panels, and a Tristar 45 AMP MPPT. So I am unsure of which monitor to use.
Just get the Victron 600, wire all the batteries into 1 bank and stop sweating it. I believe the Tristar will give you the power generated etc. info, but it takes an add-on to do it (worth having in my mind)
Old 13-05-2014, 15:34   #34

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

sailorboy, yeah, there is either a local unit which mounts to the Tristar, or a remote unit. I may end up doing one of those and the Victron. Thanks to everyone for the help. I am trying my best to understand electricity haha!
Old 13-05-2014, 15:51   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
hellosailor, great points. The fridge is a brand new Isotherm unit with a through-hull cooler, so it should be pretty efficient.

SNIP
There are lots of ways to get a better idea of how much power the fridge uses than saying 'it should be pretty efficient'. It is easy to google them but bottom line is most use fifty, sixty, sixty five amps every twenty four hours.

But that assumes good insulation. One of the first thing lots of folks do is upgrade the insulation, door, and rubber strips around the door. There are also other tricks that can help lower the power needs of the fridge.

I have four six volt one hundred and ten volt batteries and two two hundred and fifteen watt panels. This runs a big Engel in the salon, a Frigaboat in the galley, all the nav stuff including an auto pilot, lights, and a windless. Once there were eight straight days of clouds and I ran the Honda 2000 for less than an hour which resulted in the sun coming out the next day.

Bottom line is your house bank and panels should be fine as long as your insulation is up to speed.
Old 28-05-2014, 21:35   #36

I just watched a little vid from jamestown distributors on the tristar MPPT and they say it has state of charge (SoG), etc. built in... so Why do you need the Victron 600 if the charge controller gives you that info... maybe you need the remote display to see it, But the remote display will give you more info than the Victron, since it also gets all the solar charger data...

that said, I don't understand how all these charge controllers claim to provide SoG without a shunt?? Voltage is not a good indicator. So how does the controller know how many Amp hrs have been discharged from the batteries if there's no shunt? And without that, how can it really know SOG?

I'm confused too, but I wouldn't get that Victron just yet. Why waste $170 if you already got what you need... and I bet you do with the tristar. Good unit!
Old 28-05-2014, 23:29   #37

Just found this thread.
As I am planning a whole new system on our 44' ketch the thread contains a lot of answers/opinions to the many questions that confront me.
I am also a bit dull when it comes to electrics (I cant see it!!).
Thanks for posting one and all! -keep it going!
Old 29-05-2014, 04:28   #38
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I don't understand how all these charge controllers claim to provide SoG without a shunt?? Voltage is not a good indicator. So how does the controller know how many Amp hrs have been discharged from the batteries if there's no shunt? And without that, how can it really know SOG?
My Tristar does not know how much the bank has been discharged. It does tell me how many amp hours the solar panels have contributed to the 12v buss. I always assumed there was an internal shunt to accomplish that.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:44   #39

Boat: SeaWind 850

Quote:
I am currently outfitting my 40 ft. sailboat, and I am having a tough time putting together a system for the solar/batteries. I know this is a super broad area, but I am just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

The boat currently has two brand new AGM house batteries (100ah each) and a starting battery. I want to increase the house bank a little bit to be able to have a comfort zone running my refrigeration 24/7 and some electronics.

This is what I have put together for solar:

3 Kyocera KD140SX panels (will be mounted on an arch, mounted above dinghy davits)
Tristar 45 Amp MPPT controller
10-2 and 8-2 wiring for panels and controller

Now concerning the batteries... the two AGM batteries on the boat are brand new, so I am debating if I should just buy a few more AGM batteries and make the entire system AGM, or put together a LA bank. Lithium has me intrigued, but I just don't know if it's worth the price for me. I have a 200ah bank right now, and I would ideally want to have somewhere around 500-600ah.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anything. Thanks so much.

David
Hi Dave,
Hope it will help,To my "house" power I'd buy another AGM and aware of diferece to old AGM coul not conect into "one battery", instead I'd buy "solar charging controler for dual batteries",each battery is separate to another, it works fine, during my absence on boat both batteries are fully charged, old and new. In the system there is starting/winch deep cycle battery conected by VSR "voltage sensetive reelay" and this battery is charged when motor runing. Yes, itis strange but I do start motor on house 1 or 2 and go. My winch/starting battery is always full.
Hoppe it helps, sorry I did not read all thread, apologies to ones wording it erlier.
Chez

Tags
battery, men, solar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: