Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Battery resting at 12.50

I have two Excide 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. They were installed in October 2012 as the boats house bank. On the recommendation of a friend they have always remained with the exception of some short cruising with the boats charger powered on. Charger is a Charles 40 amp basic two stage model. Boat was hauled a couple of weeks back and while I have the vessel hooked up to shore power I have been shutting the charger off and letting the batteries sit for approximately a week at a time before checking with a voltage meter. With no loads on the batteries consistently read 12. 5. I am wondering if it's time to start thinking about new batteries?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Battery resting at 12.50

You need to look up the specs of those particular batteries, but if your sure they were fully charged, I’d suspect your right.
However you may try equalizing them, it’s not likely to bring them completely back, but it may recover some, and you learn how to equalize, so you can on your new bank.
Assuming you want to bother, but a two battery bank that lasts 6 yrs? Probably not worth bothering with, buy two more and get another 6 yrs.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 16:47   #3

Re: Battery resting at 12.50

Only sure answer is a 20-hour load test.

But me, after 6 years I'd replace.

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery