Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2007, 14:29   #1

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Battery Question

I am in the process of replacing my batteries. I have a lot of room and am opting for two Interstate 8D MHD batteries.
8D8D-MHD14004503620-3/4 x 11 x 9-5/8132 180

Cold Crancking amps of 1400
450 minutes at 25 amps
36 month warranty
20-3/4 long 11 wide and 9 5/8 tall
132 Lbs
180 total plates
Total cost $177 each

The numbers are almost identical to West Marine's 908D of the exact same size and weight, just West Marine is $50 pluss core more expensive..
Suggestions.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 15:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
This would be a good idea to check the charging system with a digital meter and make changes. Checking the alternator and condition of the switches. Remove rats nests of wires and just do a good once over. With new batteries you are going to spend a big chunk of money no matter what so the security of keeping them in good shape now is closer to your wallet.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 16:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 400
I cannot remember who makes the west stuff. I think Deka makes the AGMS, Interstate may make their wets... but cannot remember.

Just curious, why not go with AGM's, like Lifelines? Yeah, more money but a lot more battery too.

Just my thoughts.

- CD
Old 17-05-2007, 16:53   #4

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
This would be a good idea to check the charging system with a digital meter and make changes. Checking the alternator and condition of the switches. Remove rats nests of wires and just do a good once over. With new batteries you are going to spend a big chunk of money no matter what so the security of keeping them in good shape now is closer to your wallet.
I appreciate the input, however most are on top of their electrical system, the question was directed towards the two batteries and ensuring that I was choosing the correct battery for the $

If my pockets were a little deeper I would jump at the AGM or the gel bats.. Compare $474 each to $170 each... I need to spend money in other places.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 17:05   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ativa
I am in the process of replacing my batteries. I have a lot of room and am opting for two Interstate 8D MHD batteries.
8D8D-MHD14004503620-3/4 x 11 x 9-5/8132 180

Cold Crancking amps of 1400
450 minutes at 25 amps
36 month warranty
20-3/4 long 11 wide and 9 5/8 tall
132 Lbs
180 total plates
Total cost $177 each

The numbers are almost identical to West Marine's 908D of the exact same size and weight, just West Marine is $50 pluss core more expensive..
Suggestions.
Yo At,

curious as to why you have completely disregarded the amp-hour capacity? And the # of charge cycles expected? In the short term the 8D looks good, but have you considered the L16-size battery?

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:02   #6

Hey Ativa...the answer to your question is go with the cheaper batteries. West's are nothing special and Interstate is fine.
As an aside IMHO we should avoid buying at WEST when possible to keep competitive pressure on their prices and keep the competition strong.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:27   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
For my two cents worth. Interstate make a good battery. Why are you surprised that the equivalent would cost more at WM? I find this to be a common problem with WM. If the equipment is available elsewhere always check the alternatives. WM is not always the lowest price on identical items.
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:33   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
As I contemplate replacing my batteries, I am struck with how much each of the beast weight and getting them out and back into their battery boxes. It occurs to me that it is such a hassle, I don't want to do it very often. It seems like a 36 month warrenty is somewhat bellow some of the other high quality deep cycle batteries. Rolls has batteries that offer 10 years. Others seem to be 5 years. I'd be concerned about only 3 years.

Just me.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Are those deep cycle or starter batteries? Deep Cycle batteries are rated in amp hours at a 20 hour rate. Starting batteries are rated with CCA and reserve minutes.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:43   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
8D are generally deep cycles aren't they?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:43   #11

If your pockets are deep enough I have to totally agree with Strygaldwir. Those 8 D's are not fun to handle, I have had to do this several times over the past twenty years and its not something I look forward too. The present boat I have has 2 8D gels and 2 8D long life wets, two different charging systems, but this will be the easiest handling of batteries when the time comes because of a better arrangement in the boat itself.
Old 17-05-2007, 20:47   #12

8 D is a size reference they come in all types.
Old 18-05-2007, 05:48   #13

I have 4x 8D AGM's and I love them compared to my old wet cells...but...they are about 3x more expensive and I would not buy them for a situation where I was simply doing weekend/vacation cruising and was otherwise plugged into a dock somewhere. The low maintenance aspect is great and the additional cycling and quick charging makes them very worthwhile for a full time cruiser, but I think flooded is still the most efficient use of boat bucks for most folks. So Ativa...you have to consider your cruising plans and budget but the Interstates should be just fine if you are not full timing it.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 06:02   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Have you considered replacing the 8Ds with Trojan T105s? I don't know if they would fit in your battery box without modification but you might check that out. The T105s are true deep cycle batteries. There is lots of information about batteries on this forum and one consensus is that the T105s are good value.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 06:50   #15

Boat: Catalina 400
Quote:
camaraderieI have 4x 8D AGM's and I love them compared to my old wet cells...but...they are about 3x more expensive and I would not buy them for a situation where I was simply doing weekend/vacation cruising and was otherwise plugged into a dock somewhere. The low maintenance aspect is great and the additional cycling and quick charging makes them very worthwhile for a full time cruiser, but I think flooded is still the most efficient use of boat bucks for most folks. So Ativa...you have to consider your cruising plans and budget but the Interstates should be just fine if you are not full timing it.
Well, I agree with my good friend Cam about the wets vs agm. If you are a weekender, it is a total waste of money. But if you are contemplating going cruising in the next few years, spend the dough on the Lifeline AGM's. Batteries are one of the key critical components to boats and especially cruising. If you are a weekender..phew, why blow the money. But I guarnantee you that I would prioritize a good battery bank over many other things deemd necessary for cruising. I think they would be at the top.

Quote:
StrygaldwirAs I contemplate replacing my batteries, I am struck with how much each of the beast weight and getting them out and back into their battery boxes. It occurs to me that it is such a hassle, I don't want to do it very often. It seems like a 36 month warrenty is somewhat bellow some of the other high quality deep cycle batteries. Rolls has batteries that offer 10 years. Others seem to be 5 years. I'd be concerned about only 3 years.

Just me.
Don't bother with traditional Gels. There is no benefit to them that I can think of over agms. I think Cam has used Dekas. As I recall, you can gostraight to the mfg for those and get them in the mid to upper $200's. I might be able to dig out a name if you are interested. Lifelines are higher rated batts, but are more money. I can get you straight into the mfg there also... but you will still be paying more that Deka.

PS Don't forget that many of the older chargers will not support an agm so better check that beforehand and budget accordingly.

Quote:
AtivaQuote:
Originally Posted by Pblais

I appreciate the input, however most are on top of their electrical system, the question was directed towards the two batteries and ensuring that I was choosing the correct battery for the $

If my pockets were a little deeper I would jump at the AGM or the gel bats.. Compare $474 each to $170 each... I need to spend money in other places.Yesterday 17:04
I am Pretty sure I can get you Lifelines less than that... but it will still cost twice what the Interstates cost. Ie, read above.

Tags
battery