Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 08:51   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
Battery monitor - Same reading between banks

On my somewhat new to me boat there is a BEP battery monitor (volts, amp draw and water/holding) which monitors both the house and the starting batter banks. I noticed after an overnight both banks were reading the same voltage which got me suspicious. This was confirmed crudely by turning on various loads and watchings the voltage sag on both banks be the same. I took things one step further and physically disconnected the starter battery and it still showed voltage on the starter circuit.

Any thoughts on what typically is wrong in these situations? Looking for ideas before I start tracing out every wire.

Few things of note:
- Boat has a 3 switch battery distribution center (house/parallel/starter) which I keep in the ON/OFF/ON position
- Have solar installed, simple install panel > controller > fuse > house bank (on positive) and the negative bus bar
- Have a VSR. Engages: 13.2 VDC, Disengages: 12.7 VDC. I'm not exactly sure which side of the circuit senses voltage or where the alternator is wired too. I thought perhaps the solar voltage was keeping the relay closed allowing the starter to be drained but I think that's somewhat of a stretch.
- Since buying the boat, I installed solar and a new battery charger. I can't say for sure if it worked before I installed these. Perhaps I really did something dumb and paralleled things but the installs were pretty basic.

Any ideas appreciated!
marty9876 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 23:44   #2

Re: Battery monitor - Same reading between banks

sounds like lazy installer just wired both guage input wires to the panel instead of running a start battery feed to the gauge. only way to know is to look and follow them. but if it's reading voltage, it certainly isn't from a disconnected battery.

you definatlly need to know where the alt is wired too and which direction the VSR is going. otherwise 50/50 chance you'll only charge one bank with engine running.

that is one reason I only use ACR's. they are bi direction.

you can't drain a battery with a VSR. if the voltage is high enough to keep it engauged. you are charging. not draining.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor