Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2009, 11:54   #16

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Going through the same thing myself and have decided.
  • My batteries are going in the bilge.
  • They will be AGM's
When my engine starts, my blower (250cfm continuous duty)(actually sucking air) will start automatically (and/or manully and/or timer). It draws air from under the sole (which is sealed somewhat to the hull) and through the engine room and out. There will be an opening towards the bow which allows air from the V-birth to under the sole area. In the pilothouse (high and toward the stern) incoming ventilation will mitigate negative pressure in the boat. This will setup circular air flow and help keep, the bilge dry, boat dry and use the cooler, lower air to cool the engine room. The blower pushes the air out a vent on the starboard side stern of the boat.
Might not be perfect, but that's where I'm at.

Extemp.

Old 19-03-2009, 10:08   #17

Boat: Formosa Transworld 41 - Ago Vita
Send a message via Yahoo to offrd2001
Lightbulb under sole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42AFJ View Post
Below the sole I have planned to build a box that would rise up to boards and venting is provided through the teak grating in the galley. Of course being in the engine room now it is quite hot and not the best ventillation.
I just came across a Endeavour 43 that was for sale and they showed their batteries located under the sole. 8 were lined up 2 in each row I think in the passageway going to the aft berthing. I wouldnt put them in a passageway where your galley is, incase you spill something. water and electricity do not mix...rule of thumb . It was a pretty sweet set-up though and very easy access for maintenance and such.

Dave

Old 19-03-2009, 16:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
On my Vancouver 27 the house batteries are under the floor, all that lead needs to be near the keel. The engine starter battery is well above the water line and I can switch the vhf etc to the engine battery so I can transmit a mayday if needed.
Old 19-03-2009, 16:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Bilge Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinheiro View Post
Before my yacht goes back in the water there will be at least 1 bilge alarm installed.
By the way you can make a bilge alarm very cheaply from a battery powered smoke alarm, here's how:-
Open the cover and find the two terminals that close to test the alarm, solder two core wire one to each side of the contacts or a convinient place on the board that is connected directly to these contacts, run the wire down into the bilge to where you want it to detect, bare about 1/2" (10mm) of each of the strands, fix the detect ends about 1/2 (15mm) to 3/4 (20mm) apart. Fit the battery and close the cover. immerse the ends of the wire in some water to test. All you need to do now is to fix the wire into position.
One plus point is it works as a smoke detector as well as a bilge alarm.
Old 19-03-2009, 17:08   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrd2001 View Post
I just came across a Endeavour 43 that was for sale and they showed their batteries located under the sole. 8 were lined up 2 in each row I think in the passageway going to the aft berthing. I wouldnt put them in a passageway where your galley is, incase you spill something. water and electricity do not mix...rule of thumb . It was a pretty sweet set-up though and very easy access for maintenance and such.

Dave
What an outrageously dangerous installation... hydrogen, stibene and arsine from this huge bank right into the accomodation spaces ! No Smoking ! No Breathing ! No positive terminal protection, no visible ventilation and a couple of lousy little finger latches to keep all these in place in a knock down. This boat would never get insurance if I did the survey.
Old 19-03-2009, 17:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
On my Vancouver 27 the house batteries are under the floor, all that lead needs to be near the keel. The engine starter battery is well above the water line and I can switch the vhf etc to the engine battery so I can transmit a mayday if needed.
Not much of a fan of your battery installation but I love your boat and think it is one of the best ever built.

Given your boat you probably have only a couple of group 27 batteries. Bilge is not the best place for them but with such a small bank it's not that critical.
Old 20-03-2009, 03:47   #22

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
The area is open to the engine space I believe. Shold vent there, and there is a blower in the space.
But I agree that the batteries are not secured. Also this is over 650 lbs of weight concentrated on the port side, but the E43 is such a big boat it probably doesn't notice it much.
Old 24-03-2009, 18:27   #23
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Boatpoker for the posative comments on my Vancouver 27.
I appreciate the comment from someone who knows their way around boats.
Although the house batteries are in the bilge there is a huge sump and it takes over a ton of water before the batteries are covered, in the meantime I have a bilge alarm that activates at less than 2 bucket fulls (4 Gallons). Hopefully I will be able to take some action before the batteries are covered. In case of emergency the VHF can be linked to the engine battery which is above the waterline (about 18" above).

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: