Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 13:56   #1

Boat: sloop 35'
Battery Isolator for MPPT solar charger

Hello,
Hooked up a solar array to a MPPT solar charger and it worked great for my house bank but my start battery was not getting topped off. So....copying my Balmar alt I added a batt isolator to split the charge wire to both banks and keep them isotated from each other. When I hooked it up the battery voltage from both banks averaged out on the volt meter and then the solar controller turned itself off. When I direct wire the controller to one bank or the other it works fine and charges that battery bank. What did I do wrong?
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Battery Isolator for MPPT solar charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossny View Post
Hello,
Hooked up a solar array to a MPPT solar charger and it worked great for my house bank but my start battery was not getting topped off. So....copying my Balmar alt I added a batt isolator to split the charge wire to both banks and keep them isotated from each other. When I hooked it up the battery voltage from both banks averaged out on the volt meter and then the solar controller turned itself off. When I direct wire the controller to one bank or the other it works fine and charges that battery bank. What did I do wrong?
You can't use diode isolators with solar controllers because the controller is looking for an "turn on voltage" and it can't see a voltage on the input stud..

Use a battery combiner/ACR (voltage sensitive relay) instead. If it is just for a start battery you could also use an Echo Charger or Balmar Duo Charger. Not much good about diode isolators.......
Old 08-06-2015, 09:16   #3

Boat: sloop 35'

Thank you Maine...I thought it might be something like that. Must be getting warmer up there, enjoy.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:58   #4

Boat: RM 12.60

I know this is an old thread, but: Can I supply the "turn on voltage" from the "energize stud" on eg. a Victron Argofet battery isolator (this stud is normally used to energize an alternator if is needs so)?
dansken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 03:53   #5

Boat: RM 12.60

...just got a reply from the local Victron dealer: the Victron MPPT does not need a "turn on voltage" to function. I.e. it can be connected behind a battery isolator without problems....
dansken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 18:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansken View Post
...just got a reply from the local Victron dealer: the Victron MPPT does not need a "turn on voltage" to function. I.e. it can be connected behind a battery isolator without problems....
Dansken thanks for your post - I am planning to do the same thing. One question: did you connect both your alternator and MPPT to the same input on the isolator, and is it working well for you? Thanks!
kevin439 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, mppt, solar