Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2011, 19:44   #16

Re: Battery for Marine Air CoolMate 5000 btu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
I don't think your going to be happy until you add a small portable honda generator to your setup.
I've looked into this, how do you safely use a portable generator on a boat? Just strap it down and let it run?

Old 03-08-2011, 20:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern View Post
I've looked into this, how do you safely use a portable generator on a boat? Just strap it down and let it run?
I'm not sure if they make them but I'd bet you could goto the hardware store and make a couple metal straps out of stainless steel for $30ish to secure it.

I dunno if this is a good idea tho. Would a quick release motorcycle style strap be better? Maybe.. The thing is those liitle generators are so handy and portable you might want to use it outside of the boat. They are also great for taking on the beach to power a stereo, hot plates, 12v cooler etc for a cookout.

Old 03-08-2011, 20:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Absolutely not. On a boat this size you would be at serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The generator exhaust would need to be well away from your boat and sleeping quarters.

Maybe on a swim platform or sitting in a dinghy floating away from the boat. If you do get a portable generator be sure to get a good, 12 V powered CO detector.
Old 03-08-2011, 20:47   #19

Re: Battery for Marine Air CoolMate / 5000 btu

Yes, what he said ^ I never thought you would mount a generator inside the cabin but you never know. Lol

I'm not familuar with your boat and storage areas outside but a quick disconnect mounting bracket on the swim platform might work.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:14   #20

To clarify... I would not plan to install a generator inside the cabin. That would be like using a running car in a closed garage for light... I'm sure the CO would build up rather quickly. This generator ideal on the swim platform could work in nice calm seas, but being in the Southern part of The Gulf of Mexico, that rarely happens around here.
Proline is currently selling an AC system similar to mine and running it with 3 batteries. It works for around 4-5 hours. Good for a run offshore, but not overnight. However, if I overnight on my 24 footer it will most likely be somewhere I can get shore power and the Protournament would supply the power anyway.
The battery option seems like the safest way to go and that proline is still doing this makes me think it is working.
I'll post what I find after setting it up.
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25   #21

Boat: grampian 26

Power= voltsxamps.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
To clarify... I would not plan to install a generator inside the cabin. That would be like using a running car in a closed garage for light... I'm sure the CO would build up rather quickly. This generator ideal on the swim platform could work in nice calm seas, but being in the Southern part of The Gulf of Mexico, that rarely happens around here.
Proline is currently selling an AC system similar to mine and running it with 3 batteries. It works for around 4-5 hours. Good for a run offshore, but not overnight. However, if I overnight on my 24 footer it will most likely be somewhere I can get shore power and the Protournament would supply the power anyway.
The battery option seems like the safest way to go and that proline is still doing this makes me think it is working.
I'll post what I find after setting it up.
Thanks!
Hi,

Did not mean to imply you would run the gennie in the cabin. Figured you are much too bright to even consider that. My concern was that even on deck or in the cockpit your boat is small enough that you would be too close for the exhaust to reliably blow away.

Regarding charging several batteries with your single charger, just connect all the house batteries together in parallel and you can charge them all with one output wire from the charger. Did you say you do have a separate starting battery? You would of course keep the starter battery system completely separated from the house batteries and charge it with a separate output from the charger.

If you planned on running the AC unit overnight, say 8-10 hours then based in +/- 50 amps/hour 12V DC, to avoid completely killing your batteries ie max discharge to 60-70% of their rating you would need 8-10 4D size batteries, so total 1000 lbs or more, unless you add shore power or generator.

I would guess you wouldn't want to add that much weight to your boat.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43   #23

Thanks for the info...

Here's what my setup has. Three house batteries (port, starboard and emergency). The emergency battery can be switched in to power the starboard engine, the port is on it's own.

Under power, these are charged via the Yamahas.

At shore, the Protournament Quad 300 3 stage charger has a simple household AC plug in. The 300 has four charging outlets. Currently, the first three outlets go to each house battery for optimal shore charging (just plug it in and the Quad 300 does it's best to keep the batteries healthy).

The fourth outlet is routed into the cabin and charged the single North Star AGM 210 battery (big suckah).

My thoughts are to replace the North Star with 3 smaller batteries in parallel.

So that one outlet should be able to charge the 3 batteries in series to power the AC?

If so, while at shore, I would plug in the pro-tournament and run the AC expecting that the charger can keep up with the AC demand. Worse case, while at shore, I could always just plug directly into the marine air AC plug and bypass the batteries and inverter while they charge.

If I ever need to run the AC overnight in an area that didn't have shore power, I could (in the future) buy a Honda generator and sit it on the dive platform where the AC inlet is for the Pro Tournament 300 and run it that way... as long as the 300 can keep up with the Air conditioners battery drain.

Sound like a viable option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi,

Did not mean to imply you would run the gennie in the cabin. Figured you are much too bright to even consider that. My concern was that even on deck or in the cockpit your boat is small enough that you would be too close for the exhaust to reliably blow away.

Regarding charging several batteries with your single charger, just connect all the house batteries together in parallel and you can charge them all with one output wire from the charger. Did you say you do have a separate starting battery? You would of course keep the starter battery system completely separated from the house batteries and charge it with a separate output from the charger.

If you planned on running the AC unit overnight, say 8-10 hours then based in +/- 50 amps/hour 12V DC, to avoid completely killing your batteries ie max discharge to 60-70% of their rating you would need 8-10 4D size batteries, so total 1000 lbs or more, unless you add shore power or generator.

I would guess you wouldn't want to add that much weight to your boat.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26   #24

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
.... and that proline is still doing this makes me think it is working.
Beware of what you see and hear at boat shows. You need to talk to a Proline owner to see if this setup has any value.
Old 19-08-2011, 21:34   #25

Here's an update....

I bought 2 Sears Diehard Platinum Marine 31 Group AGM batteries (same as Odyssey).

I hooked them up in parallel and gave it a test run on a blue water fishing trip. Even with the cabin being opened every 15 minutes or so, the batteries ran the AC for 6 1/2 hours. It was 100+ on the water and the AC kept it at a cool dry 78 F for the duration. Eventually the batteries gave up and I shut it off.
I've recharged the batteries and will post up on the next trip. I did turn it on for 2 hours yesterday at full cold as a test and it kept the cabin at 74 F. The battery gauge indicated 12.6 volts when I shut it off and recharged. Today it was back at 13 volts and I took it out for 40 minutes running the AC the entire time.

Whether the Promariner Protournament Quad 300 can keep up with these batteries remains to be seen, but so far, this system is working great!
Old 19-08-2011, 21:57   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

AVern, this is a very interesting experiment. Were you charging the batteries from the engines while you ran the air conditioner? When you say the batteries "gave up", what do you mean by that? What was their voltage?
Old 19-08-2011, 22:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds as if he's running the batteries down flat to get that 6.5 hrs.
Old 20-08-2011, 05:23   #28

This system has a Sinergex inverter that trips off the batteries when the voltage gets low enough... I think it's around 20% left and the gauge showed around 11.8 if I remember.
I'm still unsure if the Yamaha F-150's are supplying power. I tend to think they are hooked up as there is a battery charger breaker and a engine charger breaker on the panel for the AC. The F-150's create 35 amps when running, and with 3 main batteries, a raymarine radar dish running and a ray marine E-60 with fishfinder.... I'm not sure how much juice is left.
The AC battery gauged maintains 13 volts after charge and dips to 12.5-12.8 when running the AC that the inverter shows is requireing 40 amps.

I think the battery setup is good, but I may put in a separate shore charger as that Promariner 4 bank is working hard with 30 amps to charge 5 batteries ( starboard, port, emer, 2x31 group AGM in parallel).

It also maintains a float of 13.3. Oddysey told me they want a float of 13.5 or greater to avoid sulfating.
Old 20-08-2011, 06:39   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Impressive results.

It would be interesting if you had an amp hour meter to track exactly how low you're taking those batteries.
Old 20-08-2011, 07:10   #30

Quote:
Were you charging the batteries from the engines while you ran the air conditioner?
That's the key question. If the AC needs 500 watts and the outboards put out 420 watts, the batteries need to supply only 80 watts to run the AC, plus whatever wattage is needed to power the boat electronics. Within the 50% DoD constraint, the two batteries should have about 1 KWhr of power available, so it's not surprising you are getting over six hours on the AC - if the engines are running most of the time.

If you try to run the AC without the outboards, the math says you should expect about two of hours before 50% DoD.

Tags
battery, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: