Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 15:59   #1

Boat: Malo 34, J/80
Battery Desuphator

Anyone has any experience with a battery Desuphator?

Permanent installation or just a short period installation to get suphate off?

Thank you,

h
hlemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 17:52   #2

To "desulfate" wet cell batteries you need to apply an equalizing charge of about 15.5 volts for about 8 hours monitoring temperature to insure it does not rise over 120 degrees F.
If you are simply talking about the various pulse "desulphators" offered on the market... one of our more respected members has formally tested several and concluded they were of no value except to those selling them.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 18:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If you are simply talking about the various pulse "desulphators" offered on the market... one of our more respected members has formally tested several and concluded they were of no value except to those selling them.
To make it clear. I know the guy that wrote it and it's true. Some things sell well because people want to believe.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 18:31   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
I'm as, if not more, skeptical as anyone but I would disagree with such blanket statements esp when it related to PWM desulfaters. I have seen empirical data demonstrating how it does improve internal resistance of marginally sulfated batteries indicitative of the apparent utility these pulse devices can have under certain condtions.

Simply making a generic statement saying they do not work is misleading.

Many do not; still others are used on batteries either inappropriately or too far "gone" to be of any help. However, I have seen evidence (not from anyone who has any financial or other interest) that some can extend or marginally restore batteries so take whatever advice you receive as constructive but not necessarily definitive.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 23:02   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hmmm... PWM desulfaters. I can't let this go without posting.

To prove that something works, evidence is needed. The scientific method requires that all evidence is empirical, meaning that it is observed with experiments and tests.

It is empirical evidence that we need, but that is not where it ends. Evidence is only as good as the reputation of the person or organization bringing it forward. In other words: who did the research and who funded it. Only when there is absolutely no commercial interest in the findings by the researcher and this person is well known in the field of research and of undisputed integrity, and the funding came from a source without any interest in the outcome, we have acceptable evidence. But this still is not where it ends. Because these results get published in scientific literature and others will perform the same tests in order to confirm the results. After all that we come to the point that some device or phenomena is generally accepted as functional. This will lead to inclusion of the phenomena in educational literature and students learning about it.

So, why I write all this: empirical data is nothing. It's worth as much as my neighbor's grand-ma saying that vinegar works well against the flu because she saw it being used and working so well. We need evidence from known authorities. I am not aware of any such evidence that these PWM desulphators work. If anybody knows more, pls. post references.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 23:41   #6
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
I was a believer in these units but I became bothered by the various desulphator claims especially when the manufacturers were pressed. It seemed unreasonable that the same unit that would desulphate a Series 27 battery would have enough muscle to desuphate a bank of 10 Trojan T-105s, although that was the claim in a face to face discussion with two manufacturers at a major marine trade show. Skeptically, I then tested the output from three different models with a FLUKE o'scope and found.......nothing.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, desulphator