Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-06-2014, 08:26   #46

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: battery craziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

It is simply the price of admission.

Mark
Yup you've got to be a little be crazy to be a Sailor!

My question is are you crazy if you know you're crazy?

Old 26-06-2014, 09:51   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I think you are either discounting or unaware of the stress of finding, shipping and installing new batteries in certain parts of the world that make for fine cruising.

Mark
Mark I have a customer who two years ago I told his 4 year old AGM's were toast. (no solar, mooring, anchor and cruised boat only) He insisted he could get another year out of them. I suggested he likely would not. He then sailed the boat to the Southern Caribbean, 9 weeks after I diagnosed them with terminal cancer, where the batteries finally bit the bullet.

I can't recall what island he was on, perhaps Grenada, but his cost down there, in excess, of what I would have charged to replace the batteries, when I suggested he doing it, was going to be $1400.00 MORE....... Your point is an excellent one.....

Old 26-06-2014, 10:16   #48

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: battery craziness

Hey Dockhead, the Queen you referred to, was that Mrs Dockhead or the actual Queen of England?
Old 26-06-2014, 10:23   #49
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Just like life itself.

Think electrical system folks. Batteries are just part of a whole system. Get the system right and you have comfort and convenience with little extra effort. Get it wrong and you will be forever tinkering.

I'm tinkering, but not by design. I hope to end up with a good, simple system. I'm running into a lot of issues caused by previous owners, too. Bandaids on top of bandaids. Wire nuts on ac circuits. and way, way too much Harbor Freight stuff. I'd never seen electrical tape so cheap it won't even stick to itself before.
Old 26-06-2014, 11:18   #50
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Golf courses seem to be almost everywhere or close by. Another plus for those old fashioned inexpensive 6V batteries is I bet the golf courses have a supply of those and would probably sell you a set if needed.

And they take a lot of abuse ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-06-2014, 11:45   #51

Boat: Catalina 30

So how much life does a golf course get out of a typical set of GC 6v batteries?

'Cause they surely don't stop at a 50% discharge. They let em run allll the way down till the cart won't move. BTDT had to carry my clubs and actually walk. (Oh the humanity!)

I think the average cruiser will treat their batteries better than a golf cart will. Lower discharges, lower rate of discharge, etcc. But golf courses do make sure they're charged every night.
Old 26-06-2014, 11:50   #52
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Funny you should ask. I contacted the manager of the Provo Golf Club here on the island, a friend of ours. We lived at the Golf Club the first three years we were here, while we built a house.

First, he said that their "current fleet" of carts was only 18 months old, so they hadn't had to order batteries yet. This is a full time golf course, it doesn't close in winter, so there's a bench mark. They're not even worried about batteries a year and a half into it.

Second, he asked whether I was looking for 6 volt batteries for " the old 36 volt carts" or if I was trying to find 8 or 12 volt batteries for " the new 48 volt systems".

So, there's some more info. 12 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries!!!!
Old 26-06-2014, 11:54   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

Pretty sure they are roughly twice the size of the 6V and about or a little more than twice as expensive, go to this link and look at the last battery

Golf Cart Batteries - Sam's Club
Old 26-06-2014, 11:56   #54
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just looked at some on Amazon. 35 amp hours? Did I misread that?

Oh well. Maybe the availability of rugged 12 volt golf cart motors will be of some use to us.
Old 26-06-2014, 12:01   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe golf cart motors are usually either 36 or 48 bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-06-2014, 12:11   #56
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe golf cart motors are usually either 36 or 48 bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter as long as you can combine batteries to be 12V

Old 26-06-2014, 12:12   #57

Boat: Catalina 30

Trojan's site doesn't list a 12v FLA. Methinks the golf guy was talking about 8V batteries.

And for boats - what you definitely don't want is the 8V GC batteries. So that 6 batts == 48v where 6 6v == 36v. Possibly not enough room under the seat to run 8 6v batteries for the 48v systems.
Old 26-06-2014, 17:34   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Golf courses seem to be almost everywhere or close by. Another plus for those old fashioned inexpensive 6V batteries is I bet the golf courses have a supply of those and would probably sell you a set if needed.

And they take a lot of abuse ;-)

The workhorse of the fleet Trjan T105 is also pretty ubiquitous and almost any marina even in far away places can probably get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
So how much life does a golf course get out of a typical set of GC 6v batteries?

'Cause they surely don't stop at a 50% discharge. They let em run allll the way down till the cart won't move. BTDT had to carry my clubs and actually walk. (Oh the humanity!)

I think the average cruiser will treat their batteries better than a golf cart will. Lower discharges, lower rate of discharge, etcc. But golf courses do make sure they're charged every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
<snip>
First, he said that their "current fleet" of carts was only 18 months old, so they hadn't had to order batteries yet. This is a full time golf course, it doesn't close in winter, so there's a bench mark. They're not even worried about batteries a year and a half into it.

<snip>

So the golf course will be "profitable" for about 4 years and then they need half a mill worth of batteries - LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Trojan's site doesn't list a 12v FLA. Methinks the golf guy was talking about 8V batteries.

And for boats - what you definitely don't want is the 8V GC batteries. So that 6 batts == 48v where 6 6v == 36v. Possibly not enough room under the seat to run 8 6v batteries for the 48v systems.
Space is a consideration.

This talk about golf cart batteries reminded me. One of our engineers retired late last year. He got a retirement job at a GC - free golf and his job is to take care of the fleet.

the charge all night and release them all day so I don't think it's the "norm" to run them till they won't go - golfers don't want to be stuck on the course somewhere.

I will ask him about their battery management policies and plans and see if he has any data. he's an engineer (who hasn't had a science project since he retired) so this might tickle him.

OK - Here is what I sent him...

Quote:
- How are they maintained? charged every night?, how far do they discharge on average 25%? 50%? Dead flat?
- How often are they replaced? Wait till they don't charge? replace on a calendar even if OK? Do science like hydrometer tests?
- Do they buy batteries in bulk? i.e. change 10 carts batteries every month on a prevent maint schedule?
- Do you think that golf cart batteires are better constructed by nature than a car or industrial battery or is that hype? Do teh golf course owners bitch about battery cost and maintenance?
- Oh, any info you can provide on how you charge all them up quickly overnight would be cool. Do you have some fancy charging array system? What charge rates? What is your indicator they are charged? Do you have a lot of failures?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:11   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The workhorse of the fleet Trjan T105 is also pretty ubiquitous and almost any marina even in far away places can probably get them.
ROTFLMAO What a sheltered life you live.
Old 26-06-2014, 18:23   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
ROTFLMAO What a sheltered life you live.
Not sure if you mean they can't be gotten or what?

If you are saying there are places you can't get them - of course. But there probably aren't any golf courses there either.

Look when the "house" goes down and you are "really" out there you will take what you can get - 2 x 70 A/H AGMs e.g. and then head for civilization.

On some dimension at that point you aren't "cruising" you are recovering a boat from a far away place and taking it to where it can be "properly" fixed.

Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia? You can get them or a direct replacement. Yup, might have to wait a bit. Singapore? I can go pick them up this afternoon.

The further off the grid you go the more important maintenance and battery condition are. You go off grid with old tired batteries and get stuck - shame on you.

In aviation we call that "fly to failure" - We abandoned that maintenance philosophy in 1950.

- Here's an idea - I have 8 batteries. Why would I replace them all at once? Why not stagger them 4 at a time, break them into 2 banks and be confident that only 4 at a time will life out. I know I get the idea of different SOCs and capacities and all that but it is a different idea...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: