Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 03:25   #16

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Battery "combiners" any good at all??

The diode splitters are older tech, sure. They have been available for years and are proven.

I have no problem using the newer VSR systems either, preferably the mosfet based units.

I just wanted to point out that on some installs, a diode splitter is fine if properly configured. Properly configured means the output of the splitter is the correct charging voltage for the batteries being used. Voltage should always be sensed at the batts, to get the most accurate reading.

Therefore diode splitters are not necessarily junk, as some posts here would indicate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-07-2016, 05:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Battery "combiners" any good at all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
The diode splitters are older tech, sure. They have been available for years and are proven.

I have no problem using the newer VSR systems either, preferably the mosfet based units.

I just wanted to point out that on some installs, a diode splitter is fine if properly configured. Properly configured means the output of the splitter is the correct charging voltage for the batteries being used. Voltage should always be sensed at the batts, to get the most accurate reading.

Therefore diode splitters are not necessarily junk, as some posts here would indicate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
If a diode splitter drops .6V at minimal current (the start battery) and approx 1.1V at full rated current (I've physically measured this on diode isolators) when charging the house bank and then we have wire voltage drop, what is the voltage at the start battery while the house is taking high current? Can they work? Sure. Would I ever install one today with the myriad of excellent options we have, probably not..

The other issue with diode splitters, that is rarely talked about, is there is no voltage on the input stud when idle making them a no-go for directing solar, wind or other charging sources to multiple banks because the controllers need to see a safe turn on voltage. Most controllers and chargers also do not have voltage sense leads.

Even isolator models with a trigger stud only want it used for "key on" excite thus negating the diode isolator for charging multiple banks from all charge sources. They really only work for alternator charging, if you have remote sense, and the reg will kick in without seeing a trigger voltage. Today boats have multiple charging sources so a unit that works across all charge sources is usually best suited.
Old 15-07-2016, 05:12   #18

I have found this to be the best combination for myself .
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 22:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
I have found this to be the best combination for myself .
Chuck's often right, but in some electrical stuff, he missed the mark.

Here's why the DCP switches are not the best for sailboats:

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery