Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2014, 07:10   #1

Boat: Nautical Development, Offshore 40
Battery Combiner Question

Hi to the forum,

I have owned my boat for just about a year and have it at Dinner Key Marina in Miami. It spend a lot of the time on shore power which at this marina is very reliable.

We have a xantrex 2000 battery charger inverter with a link 2000 monitor panel.

We have 3 AGM house bank and a smaller starter agm battery. The alternator and the feed from the charger goes to the house bank and there is a west marine 70-3 battery combiner linking the start batt to the house bank. I understand this is a common setup.

On the link 2000 panel when on "float" setting my house bank reads 13.2 and the starter battery reads 12.8. I have taken reading from the starter battery lead to the battery combiner when the engine is running and it does indeed pass through the charge from the alternator.

I am getting to my question now. should the starter battery be receiving any float charge with that type of combiner when it is connected to the shore power. The reason I ask is that the starter battery was brand new when we bought the boat but it has frequently been in a discharged state when say after a couple of weeks we try to start the engine only to see the voltage drop from 12.8 to around 10 on the starting panel in the cockpit and have to combine the banks with the battery switch to "both" to get going.

The battery combiner has a red led but it does not light when the pass through volts are going to the starter bank, which could just be a bad led.

Would anyone recommend something like a xantrax echo charger to get a float charge over to the starter batt when sitting on shore power like we do?

Thanks people sorry for the long question.

cloudman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Battery Combiner Question

13.2V is right on the edge of the voltage setting for that combiner. I remember it being 13.1V, but it might be 13.2V - and any voltage drop in the wiring will lower it from there.

You might try setting your float to 13.3V and see if that brings the combiner online. First, though, measure the voltage at the combiner when in float and see if it thinks you are at 13.2V. If not, fiddle with the connections to see if you have a voltage drop.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom
Re: Battery Combiner Question

What Mark said

The earlier model Combiners expected a float voltage of around 13.6 so at 13.2 they had plenty of margin. Around 2002? the Combiner threshold setting was lowered to 13.0 volts since many chargers were using lower float voltages.

If your Combiner has a problem, it is still under warranty, you can send it back for testing and free replacement if it is faulty.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: