Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2014, 00:56   #46

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Battery combiner not working with low voltages

Hello all,

So had the electrician on and after a lot of testing mentioned here said the combiner unit was faulty.

I carry a spare (a whisper unit) which was installed and it worked perfectly. That's two of these combiners I've had fail now.

Glad it's all fixed though!

Please visit my blog:
www.sailing-interlude.com

simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 05:44   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hello all,

So had the electrician on and after a lot of testing mentioned here said the combiner unit was faulty.

I carry a spare (a whisper unit) which was installed and it worked perfectly. That's two of these combiners I've had fail now.

Glad it's all fixed though!

Please visit my blog:
Go Blue Seas ACR next time...

Glad you figured it out...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 05:49   #48

Thanks,

As I'm going to be heading across the pacific in a few months I might pick that one up as a spare.

These 'smart' controllers seem to be too smart for their own good and after heading of a lot of people having the same issue I don't trust them at all.

Regards,
Simon

Old 19-11-2014, 06:20   #49

Boat: Valiant 42

Simon,

Glad you got it fixed.

The simplest backup would be to install a battery on/off switch across the big terminals. Inside that's really all these charge devices are. They just remember when to turn on and off. But you can remember too.
Old 19-11-2014, 06:20   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Thanks,

As I'm going to be heading across the pacific in a few months I might pick that one up as a spare.

These 'smart' controllers seem to be too smart for their own good and after heading of a lot of people having the same issue I don't trust them at all.

Regards,
Simon
I have never really liked the Cyrix. It seems to be nothing more than a cheap automotive headlight relay with some voltage logic. The terminals and spacing are rather lame lame and not even nickel plated or tinned.

The Blue Sea ACR or the Yandina Combiner have been 100% reliable for me and I have never seen a failure of either that was not caused by lightning. Even so every boat should have the ability to cross connect/parallel & isolate the banks for emergencies.

I even have an ML-500 ACR from Blue Sea combining a bow bank and a house bank for charging/powering a bow thruster. The thruster is rated at 400A!! (not my idea!!) The owner locks it manually (switch at the helm) to the house bank when using the thruster to get over 600Ah's behind the 400A thruster and the thing has been passing this type of current now for over 6 years.

I once snapped the plastic case on a Yandina in 5F weather. I called and asked to buy a new case, and they refused. They shipped me a new case for no charge even after I admitted snapping it was my own fault.!

The Yandina Combiner has an unconditional lifetime warranty!! It is sad that the Cyrix is giving "combiners/VSR's" a bad name.

This technology, when using Blue Sea or Yandina, has proven to be one of if not the most reliable pieces of electronic gear I install. Don't get down on the class of products because Victron sold you an automotive-grade headlight relay at marine prices.... Victron does make some good gear but they also make some stuff that is very questionable. I guess my gut feelings on the product were accurate. Thanks for confirming....
Old 19-11-2014, 06:39   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yandina Combiner have been 100% reliable for me and I have never seen a failure of either that was not caused by lightning.

I once snapped the plastic case on a Yandina in 5F weather. I called and asked to buy a new case, and they refused. They shipped me a new case for no charge even after I admitted snapping it was my own fault.!

The Yandina Combiner has an unconditional lifetime warranty!!
Unconditional.

We lost two 14yr old Yandina combiners (actually, West Marine brand that Yandina made for them) in a lightning strike and Yandina had no problem replacing them for free.

14yr old. Bought from, and branded by, another company. Damaged by lightning. Yandina offered replacement without any questions asked.

I don't know of any other company in any industry with a warranty like that.

For disclosure, we did not replace with Yandina because we were out of the country and shipping would cost more than the units. We replaced with Blue Seas ACR's which work very well. However, they do not have the same warranty, and seem to use a bit more power (inconsequential given the application).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 06:42   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Simon,

Glad you got it fixed.

The simplest backup would be to install a battery on/off switch across the big terminals. Inside that's really all these charge devices are. They just remember when to turn on and off. But you can remember too.
+1 I got them to install this while they replaced the unit so I have this as a backup in case this other unit fails.

Old 19-11-2014, 08:15   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Simon,

While you were working on this did you move the primary charging connections to the house battery bank or leave them on the starter?

If you are planning long distance cruising and live aboard I think you will have much results charging the house bank directly and combining to the start battery. I understand that isn't the standard practice in the UK but from all my understanding (with a degree in electrical engineering) and research and from the recommendations of all the top marine electricians I know of this seems to be the best approach.
Old 19-11-2014, 15:55   #54

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Smart chargers are sometimes too smart for their own good.
Bring an automobile charger with you and use it to bring the voltage up then the smart charger will take over.
Cheap and nice to have as backup.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: