Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 12:26   #1

Battery Chem.

alright, so during the first year I owned my boat I damaged my 3 4D (lead acid) batteries. most likely because i spent to much time in a rainy town and did not get enough sun to keep the voltage up. I have since done a lot of research and have learned how to properly maintain my battery bank. I am looking for some advice on how to bring the batteries back. I have read a lot of crazy stories on how to do it, but I have not met or spoke to anyone who has done it. I have come across a web site called battery chem ( http://www.batterychem.biz/ ) and I am wondering if anyone has ever used or heard of any results with this method. any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
no i dont have any dead cells, i can bring the voltage up to about 12.8 every day, but drops to about 12.0-12.2volts by morning after only using 20-30 amps of a 600 amp/hr bank.
thanks for your help.
keao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 12:38   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Battery Chem.

Equalizing them might help a bit, but it sure sounds like you're going to be soon in the market for new batteries.

Nothing else I know of is likely to work. Be wary of claims of "battery rejeuvenation".....there are lots of charlatans out there!

Sorry.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 12:39   #3

This is one of those things that everyone wants to be true because so many people need it. Its also one of those things that you know.... If it worked, everyone would be doing it/selling it/posting about it.

Sounds like snake oil.
Old 19-03-2012, 13:02   #4

has anyone ever tried epsom salt and distilled water?
http://www.golflink.com/how_6557_rep...batteries.html
keao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 13:24   #5
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

keao-
Bill is right...be wary!

A quick look at the MSDS for MgSO₄ (epsom salt) shows that it is neutral or slightly acidic when dissolved in water. So nothing there can help the FLA battery's SOC.

However, the venerable Wikipedia says this:

Quote:
particularly in flotation therapy where high concentrations raise the bath water's specific gravity,
So, noting Bill's charlatan comment, and remembering that the SOC of LA batteries can be determined by taking cell specific gravity where low SG indicates low SOC, well, you get the picture.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 13:45   #6

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keao View Post
has anyone ever tried epsom salt and distilled water?
How to Repair Golf Cart Batteries | GolfLink.com
About The Author (of your article)
Larry Parr has been a full-time professional freelance writer for more than 30 years. For 25 years he wrote cartoons for TV, everything from SMURFS to SPIDER-MAN.

As said above if it worked everyone would be doing it.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 14:28   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I know how to bring them back ................ get new batteries and recycle the old ones and they will come back as new batteries somewhere down the line.

Sorry but is just the way it is.

PS - maybe you should also check to see if you have 3 bad batteries of just 1 that is dragging the bank down (probably too late).
Old 20-03-2012, 14:31   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Equalizing MAY help.

Extended charging to "reform" the plates MAY help.

Magic chemicals....save your money.

Pulsing desulfators...MAY work some, get a money-back guarantee.

Really, whether you can salvage them at all depends on how badly the plates have been damaged, because once the plate is physically damaged, there is no way to rebuild it. And it depends again on how much sulphate has formed, and how hard that has become, because the sulphates are pretty much insoluble after they have formed and aged, and there's no way to undo them at that point. Pulsing, chemicals, nothing helps once they have gone solid.

So you can equalize and charge a couple of times with a good charger--which you'll need for the new batteries anyhow if the old ones are toast--and then do a load test.

Or, call Harry Houdini. He's the only one who really knows how to peform magic on damaged batteries.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:07   #9

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

It can be done with the right knowledge and equipment, but it is a lengthy process and unless you are completely off the grid and using a whole wagon load of batteries, i would ask,,is it really worth it instead of just purchasing new batteries?

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:08   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Half a century ago a popular fix was to dissolve an aspirin into each cell; did it work - of course not. Nothing has changed much in this regard to this problem.

As every other poster has already stated in one form or other, start saving - sorry but facts can be dealt with; snake oil, not so much.

No disrespect to quality snake oil suppliers!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:16   #11

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
It can be done with the right knowledge and equipment, but it is a lengthy process and unless you are completely off the grid and using a whole wagon load of batteries, i would ask,,is it really worth it instead of just purchasing new batteries?
A few centuries ago, when I was in the army, our batteries were regularly taken to the battery shop for maintenance.
Bad batteries had their cell lids removed and flushed out with a hose pipe to remove the build up between the plates. They were then refilled with battery acid and recharged. This worked fine and I even used this method on a car battery of mine when it died on a trip to Scotland.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:23   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

How old are the batteries? If only a year old I think a serious equalization routine is worth trying out, though you might want to do it ashore as those big batteries will be producing a lot of gas.
Old 20-03-2012, 15:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keao
alright, so during the first year I owned my boat I damaged my 3 4D (lead acid) batteries. most likely because i spent to much time in a rainy town and did not get enough sun to keep the voltage up. I have since done a lot of research and have learned how to properly maintain my battery bank. I am looking for some advice on how to bring the batteries back. I have read a lot of crazy stories on how to do it, but I have not met or spoke to anyone who has done it. I have come across a web site called battery chem ( http://www.batterychem.biz/ ) and I am wondering if anyone has ever used or heard of any results with this method. any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
no i dont have any dead cells, i can bring the voltage up to about 12.8 every day, but drops to about 12.0-12.2volts by morning after only using 20-30 amps of a 600 amp/hr bank.
thanks for your help.
Over here in OZ farmers discovered years ago that an electric fence energizer could be used to get sulphated batteries back to life. Like a lot of these "urban myths" many considered it to be B.S. but the method has been since confirmed by a number of electronic magazines. As a result you can buy the equipment to do this. I have not tried the system yet but at about $80 it is worth a try apparently it can extend battery life considerably.
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 16:04   #14

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Come on guys ,,,its not rocket science we are talking about here,,all of you calling it snake oil need to read more!!

Battery cell plates sulphate from use,that's a given,,this build up can be removed and batteries can be rejuvenated using Pulsed voltage or chemical de-sulphation.
Its just basic Chemistry is all.

If the plates are too damaged they can, and are, replaced by Battery rebuilder shops.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery