Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2012, 13:27   #1

Battery charger question and recommendation for Group 31 AGMs

What are the top of the line group 31 AGMs. Don't want to deal with lithium (as well as they are out of price range) but looking for something better than factory flooded cell batteries.

Owners manual recommends following: Group 31DCM, 12V, 800 CCA, 200 Reserve

I am having a bunch of aftermarket electronics installed and want to ensure good batteries help withstand the extra load.

So far I have been pointed towards the Deka Intimidator AGMs or Odyssey MS PC2150s. Thoughts?

Also, boat is being built with the ProMariner PronauticP 50amp battery charger. Is it worth asking the factory to install the ProNauticP 60amp? How would the extra 10amps affect the chargers capability? Are there technical concerns/issues with doing this?

Early thx for any insights~

Refuse2growup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 06:59   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Battery charger question and recommendation for Group 31 AGMs

We have the Odyssey PC2150s, two banks of 3 each. The older bank -- which also services our electronics suite -- is finishing it's 7th season, seems fine. I believe Sears Group 31 Platinum Plus batteries are the same product, so they're often available locally to save shipping, and sometimes even on sale.

You might look at Lifeline, as well.

Both Odyssey and Lifeline say they're built to MilSpec. FWIW.

Depending on your total amperage requirements, the 60-amp charger would probably be a useful upgrade... especially since it's easy enough to do during the build stage. I think ABYC recommendations suggest a charger capable of not less than 10% of your total available battery amperage... and any extra amperage is generally useful for running DC house stuff, anyway. We have an older ProMariner ProTech 1240 (40-amp) charger and it keeps up... but I usually feel like the always-on (when we're aboard) AIS transmitter is stressing the limits of what a 40-amp charger is capable of... so plan on upgrading whenevrr I get a round tuit.

Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

If you are a cruising sailboat it might be a good idea to re-think AGM's. If you are tied to a dock and can charge them fully all the time they're ok but if you're out cruising they do not last. I made that mistake a few years ago and after two seasons of cruising went back to flooded batteries.
AGM Batteries - Making The Choice -
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:27   #4

Boat: Nordic Tugs 37

I like the Deka's. Just replaced my house bank's two g31's this spring with another pair of the same. First pair lasted 11 years, cruising primarily BC and SE Alaska most of each summer, about 880 days on the water, anchoring (with no generator) about 2/3 of the time. The new pair were $197 each, at a local battery dealer.
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tugs 37)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon is online now   Reply With Quote

agm, battery, charger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: