I have a Charles Charger
15 amp, 3 bank charger
that replaced an identical unit after a lightning
strike two years ago. The boat was completely rewired on the 12 volt side after the strike.
Prior to this, with the original charger and in a different marina, I only needed to change the saildrive
zincs every two years or so. After rewiring and installing the new charger, I started having to change them every 3 months! About six months ago, I started leaving the charger off when I am away from the boat ( about to weeks at a time) on the advice of a friend. .
The guy who dives my hull
reported this week that the zincs still look new. He was worried that they weren't making good contact with the drive unit. Then he asked if I changed anything, like leaving the charger turned off. When I said yes, he said " Oh, well that's why then. Battery
chargers eat zincs"
Now I'm really confused. 1 - I thought these chargers were designed as maintainers and therefore could be left on. 2 - I didn't have this problem in a different marina before being struck by lightning
. 3) Battery
is the same as before.
Any clarification or thoughts would be most welcome!