Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2010, 02:38   #1

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Battery Charger / Inverter Quandry

I'm now cruising. My Prosine is acting up. Posted here a couple of months ago. Got a funny error message. Another boat left dock the dock and then the charger worked. Inverter works and works now.

Now I'm in Nanny Cay, BVI. Charger has the same error message.

I'm not interersted in putting up with this. Not real found of Xantrex. But my issues are: If I buy a Prosine 2 again it's a drop in replacement, very little work to structure and wiring. Pull out, re attach wires, then go. But it will be Xantrex all over again. Don't know if the "new" prosines are better then the old. Don't know if the new software is in the panel. Maybe I could just replace the remote panel.

But; if I get a new different charger from a company that supports it products and has a solid rep for their products, like Outback or Vectron then maybe I'll never (I know - never say never) have to deal with this issue again.

However; getting a different charger inverter then means a bigger change in the setup. And should I then separate the two so there isn't one unit in full control. Also if I get a different Charger / Inverter then I have a different panel to install.

Now generally I wouldn't much worry about any of the above except now I'm out cruising and working on the boat takes 5 times longer then when you're at "home" and finding some of the things one needs like wood that will do the job right cost 2 times as much.

As I'm in a classic "approach avoidance" or prisoner delima game.

All advise is worth something, the more so if you've been cruising and have had anything similar happen. I've got two more days of Internet Access before we move but I'll be back should someone spend to much time thinking on my conundrum.

I'm thinking when I return the states for a couple of weeks this spring I'll get the item and then bring it back with me.

Thanks ahead of time,
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter