Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 17:42   #31

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Battery Charger Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Some fan forced cooling works wonders for problems like this.

Get one, or two of the larger 12v computer fans and mount it/them close, or actually on the heat sinks. Often they can be just be cable tied in place at least to try out the idea.

Quote "that would be OK so I am now looking at changing the layout of the inverters away from the transformer that is generating all the heat. A combination of insulation from the transformer and better ventilation should do the trick." - sound like he was on to it.

Certainly heat impacts should should be built in particually in the tropics.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 20:06   #32

My Victron 24v 3000/70 derates from 70a and quiet a bit in hotter climates. I haven't experimented with extra fans but I imagine that it would help a lot.

I have 2 devices as I find that the ratio of inverter output to battery charging ability is not quiet ideal... For example, I would like to have 100a 24v charging ability on a 2500w inverter/charger at 40 degrees C. However I imagine that this is technically not possible in respect to cost, size, reliability etc.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 23:02   #33

Boat: too many
Re: Battery Charger Efficiency

Bit of a thread drift (I'm becoming infamous for this) but the EV camp has their golden boy for battery chargers. Hand made in the PNW, if you don't mind drawing almost 1/2 the entire 200 amp residential service, you can charge any pack voltage up to 450 VDC. All the big dogs in EV racing are using this charger.

Manzanita Micro
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 05:02   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
My Victron 24v 3000/70 derates from 70a and quiet a bit in hotter climates. I haven't experimented with extra fans but I imagine that it would help a lot.

I have 2 devices as I find that the ratio of inverter output to battery charging ability is not quiet ideal... For example, I would like to have 100a 24v charging ability on a 2500w inverter/charger at 40 degrees C. However I imagine that this is technically not possible in respect to cost, size, reliability etc.
An inverter/charger is designed as an inverter. They design it so that it can be reversed into a charger using the same power components. This means that for the charger part you get less output power than for the inverter part.

So yes, for optimal charging you need to buy dedicated chargers.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger