Originally Posted by sailinglegend
Could be other factors involved - maybe overfilling that battery
because you couldn't get to it easily. I don't think this should detract from Main Sail's excellent suggestions.
Too many times we see on here people who get advice and then say "They can't be bothered to make the changes because it is too much work....."
For serious cruisers with a big boat like yours you could probably find space away from the hot engine
compartment to fit the batteries correctly, and perhaps to increase the bank capacity at the same time, instead of having to make use of "every millimeter of available space". Batteries need a bit of space around them to keep cool.
Thank you for your input.
Maybe I expressed myself improperly; I'll try to correct misunderstandings.
The suggestion for port/stbd orientation is appreciated and seems logical. I do not wish to detract from that but merely posted my experience. And confusion.
I tried very hard to keep the proper amount of fluid in the batteries, without overfilling. Used a torch and mirror to ensure I could see properly.
There is an insulated firewall/bulkhead between the motor
room and central area, where the companionway
stairs house the batteries. This keeps motor
room heat away from the built-in fridge and freezer
as well as from the batteries. On the other hand, we only use the motor entering/leaving port or for docking
maneuvers. The solar
system and wind
turbine handle all else.
The new battery box
(which I built) uses "every millimeter of space" on the sole under the stairs, and is much larger than the original box. Because of the larger box I could install physically larger bats, and still have 1 & 1/2 inches of air-space around each battery
. I've inserted small pegs all around to prevent battery shifting. Also, there is a mechanism to prevent the batteries from lifting/bouncing in rough seas. There is heavy-duty padding under the box to ameliorate vibration.
With the new T-12-250s, I've already increased capacity from 400 to a 600 amp/hr battery bank.
The costs of the entire battery project
is just under USD 4,000 and completed merely 2 months ago. If I'd know about the port/stbd concept
beforehand I'd have gone down a different path. However, there are other repairs
and upgrades to accomplish while doing the routine maintenance
. As things lie, and meaning no offense, while I'm prepared and willing to work, to redo this project
now would be insane.