Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 13:59   #61

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Battery Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
Could be other factors involved - maybe overfilling that battery because you couldn't get to it easily. I don't think this should detract from Main Sail's excellent suggestions.

Too many times we see on here people who get advice and then say "They can't be bothered to make the changes because it is too much work....."
For serious cruisers with a big boat like yours you could probably find space away from the hot engine compartment to fit the batteries correctly, and perhaps to increase the bank capacity at the same time, instead of having to make use of "every millimeter of available space". Batteries need a bit of space around them to keep cool.
Thank you for your input.

Maybe I expressed myself improperly; I'll try to correct misunderstandings.

The suggestion for port/stbd orientation is appreciated and seems logical. I do not wish to detract from that but merely posted my experience. And confusion.

I tried very hard to keep the proper amount of fluid in the batteries, without overfilling. Used a torch and mirror to ensure I could see properly.

There is an insulated firewall/bulkhead between the motor room and central area, where the companionway stairs house the batteries. This keeps motor room heat away from the built-in fridge and freezer as well as from the batteries. On the other hand, we only use the motor entering/leaving port or for docking maneuvers. The solar system and wind turbine handle all else.

The new battery box (which I built) uses "every millimeter of space" on the sole under the stairs, and is much larger than the original box. Because of the larger box I could install physically larger bats, and still have 1 & 1/2 inches of air-space around each battery. I've inserted small pegs all around to prevent battery shifting. Also, there is a mechanism to prevent the batteries from lifting/bouncing in rough seas. There is heavy-duty padding under the box to ameliorate vibration.

With the new T-12-250s, I've already increased capacity from 400 to a 600 amp/hr battery bank.

The costs of the entire battery project is just under USD 4,000 and completed merely 2 months ago. If I'd know about the port/stbd concept beforehand I'd have gone down a different path. However, there are other repairs and upgrades to accomplish while doing the routine maintenance. As things lie, and meaning no offense, while I'm prepared and willing to work, to redo this project now would be insane.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:50   #62

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Gee there is a lot to learn about batteries... so following, or trying to follow all of this... does what you are all saying, suggest that when I'm back in my marina, I should connect my bank up to my charger and fully charge the batteries? I've got a CTECK M300 which is permamently wired into the batteries.. All I have to do is connect the shore power and its on..

Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 05:30   #63

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Understanding power-use reduction, is a lot easier than understanding high-tech, hi-energy power-usage and charging.

It's no fun to use 10 amps a day, with 300 amps battery capacity with 100+ amp chargers that somehow wind up boiling the batteries . . . somehow.

I understand needing to understand replacing 300 amps if the operation of the boat really needs 300 amps.

But most of these boats don't have state rooms, 54" TV's and walk-in freezers.

I wonder if most of these boats, I dare say . . . spend more time plugged to the grid at dock, than on the hook.

That being said, I often wonder if the real thrill for some, is the technocracy of it all, which, in younger years was always appealing to me.

Now I'm retired, I feel 35+ years of computer use has somewhat burned me out, and now I relish things simple . . . easy and simple.

BTW . . . I used to be an active naturalist before being seduced by the computer age.

Minimal needs and simplicity have a very user friendly ring to it for me.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery