Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 22:36   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Battery Bank Question

So we just installed a new battery bank and I guess I am a little surprised about the results.

We put in 4 6volts wired in series parallel. Each six volt is supposedly 140 Ah So our total bank should be 280 ah right? So why am I seeing 12.55 volts after only about 16Ah? Is this about right? There are no big loads on there maybe 3 or 4 amps at a time. Am I just being paranoid?

I know there are all sorts of ways to figure the inner feelings of my batteries but in all honesty I would rather be out sailing so please spare me any explanations that include me being on all fours for more than 10 minutes at a time or involves graph paper. Short answers only Por favor.

Thanks in advance!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 23:46   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
OK, maybe this is a silly question, but do you know that they were fully charged? Do you have a Link or some other sort of battery monitor? Have you turned everything off and made sure you don't have a hidden drain going on?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:11   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Yes
I do know that that are charged we have a link 1000
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:49   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Your batteries are new. Discharge them until you read 12.0V without load. Now fully re-charge them and keep them on float charge for a day. Now, equalize them (the real thing, with a AC powered charger that has the equalize option) if they are regular lead acid (the type you can add water to). This will give you a good start point but many new batteries need multiple deep cycles before delivering their rated capacity.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery