Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 15:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Wild Cherry
Batteries in Greece.

I am forced to buy another new house battery bank - the previous 720ah house bank lasted a year so I am definately not replacing them through the same chandlery. Please someone advise me where I can get a good deal on deep cycle AGM's in Greece. The prices seem way higher than for example Germany. Thanks in advance.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 16:03   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Re: Batteries in Greece.

Hello,

I will be replacing my batteries nest May. My boat is in Aegina and here you can see my findings on getting the batteries I need in Greece (I found prices very reasonable!):

Service Batteries - Vela Navega Forum

I decided to buy from GRK BATTERIES (info at gr-kiros.gr). Panos Konstantinidis from this company is the person with whom I exchanged emails. They will take the new batteries to the port quay and will take the old ones.

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 21:37   #3

you likly treated them very bad if they only lasted a year. new bank might do the same.

how low are you discharging them? voltage wise. how are you charging them back each day?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 02:36   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Wild Cherry

You are correct - actually I only sailed for about 6 weeks last year during which time the batteries were not charging at 14.5 volts and dropping quickly to 11 volts after running the generator. I was waiting for a new LED multifunction levels monitor from Beneteau so was using a handheld multimeter. Because the batteries had been fitted new by the marina after the previous sailing season I assumed they were not the problem. By the time I was convinced it was the new batteries and the marina could test the batteries, which they then found to be faulty, I was exactly one month out of the one year warranty. Because the batteries had been installed while on the hard during the off season 6 months before I returned, they could have discharged and got damaged, although I did pay to have the power connected for a few days at 3 month intervals. I cannot blame anyone as I am sure the marina did not fit faulty batteries. The supplier has offered a spectacular 10% discount on my next set. Anyway, I have since learned a lot about batteries and electrical due to the excellent Jeff Cote videos. Possible reasons - 1) my battery bank at 740AH is way too large for my 40amp charger (your charger should be 10% of your housebank's AH) 2) The internal setting of the charger might not be set to the correct type of battery, 3) the batteries got discharged and damaged during the time on the hard. The battery supplier has suggested I check my charger, although the Dolphin chargers supplied by Beneteau are pretty good.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece