Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 06:49   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Batteries Groups

I’d expect your Lifelines to last much longer than the Odysseys even with the inverter unless you pulling them way down anyway.

That’s the thing, batteries are like lots of things, some are simply higher quality than others. If you compare a Walmart AGM to a Rolls flooded, then yes the flooded will last much, much longer, but compare a Lifeline to a Walmart flooded and the opposite is true.
However I believe AGM’s are more sensitive to their charge regime, meaning they are less tolerant than a high quality flooded.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:57   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

My understanding is within AGMs, that Odyssey should give about the same longevity as Lifeline.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:49   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
My understanding is within AGMs, that Odyssey should give about the same longevity as Lifeline.

I don’t think you can equalize them? There is an unusual reconditioning charge meant for a battery that has been stored for a long time and not on float or boost charged, but I don’t think there is a procedure meant for a battery in use that has been shown to lose some capacity due to being short cycled.
There is for a Lifeline, and I think that is the difference, you can to some extend de-sulphate a Lifeline by equalizing them.
If done IAW the manual, I believe that adds life to the bank, or is supposed to anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 05:02   #19

Boat: Hunter 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Interesting mish-mash; wonder how that came about. General rule of thumb is all the same size (BCI Group), chemistry (e.g., lead-acid), type (i.e., don't mix FLA, AGM or Gel in a single bank), and age.

Your mish-mash suggests you may have room for four or even six 6V deep cycle batteries, and that'd be my first choice, were it me.

If they're easy to service, you don't mind doing it, and you don't have off-gassing issues, decent flooded lead-acid (e.g., Trojan T105s or others) would be OK. If they're not easy to service, or if you're disinclined to do your part... or if you have worries about off-gassing, then AGMs can be a good choice... at greater expense.

-Chris
Thanks for the information. I can fit two banks of 2 x 6 volts very easy in my boat since two set are already mounted in the same spaces. But the 5th battery I have now is by itself and I can only fit a group 24 or a group 27 battery not two 6 volts.
Do you think it would be better to just go with 4 x 6 volts or 5 group 24s?
Atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 05:55   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atango View Post
Thanks for the information. I can fit two banks of 2 x 6 volts very easy in my boat since two set are already mounted in the same spaces. But the 5th battery I have now is by itself and I can only fit a group 24 or a group 27 battery not two 6 volts.
Hi Atango,

6 volt GC2 golf cart batteries are rated at +/- 210-230 amp hours each, depending on the manufacturer. Four of these will give you about 550 amp hours capacity at 12V. With deep cycle GC2 batteries you can safely discharge as low as 50% so from full charge you would get a usable capacity of about 225 amp hours.

Group 24 batteries are not true deep cycle and many do not even have amp hour ratings but those that do are typically 75-80. So five of these would give you a total capacity of about 400 amp hours so total lower rated amp hour capacity. Also, since they are not true deep cycle for long life they should not be discharged as low as deep cycles so usable capacity would be even less.

Bottom line, the golf cart batteries are the best option all around: more amp hours, deeper discharge, last longer and less sensitive to abuse.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 07:56   #21

Boat: Hunter 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Interesting mish-mash; wonder how that came about. General rule of thumb is all the same size (BCI Group), chemistry (e.g., lead-acid), type (i.e., don't mix FLA, AGM or Gel in a single bank), and age.

Your mish-mash suggests you may have room for four or even six 6V deep cycle batteries, and that'd be my first choice, were it me.

If they're easy to service, you don't mind doing it, and you don't have off-gassing issues, decent flooded lead-acid (e.g., Trojan T105s or others) would be OK. If they're not easy to service, or if you're disinclined to do your part... or if you have worries about off-gassing, then AGMs can be a good choice... at greater expense.

-Chris
Atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 21:19   #22

4x 6v golf carts is more power then 5x 24. More then 5x 27. Too

And will last longer
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 21:52   #23

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, I would go 4 golf cart 6 volt for the house supply and 1 of whatever you can fit in the remaining space, 12 volt for a start battery. All flooded lead acid of the best quality that you can afford/source. Just make sure that the start battery has sufficient power to start the engine MULTIPLE times.
Cheers.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:53   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atango View Post

4x 6V GCs would be better for a house bank.

-Chris
Old 15-02-2018, 07:25   #25
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

100% agree
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote